Community
Search
Notices
SimJet Turbine Direct Support Direct support for SimJet Turbines provided here.

Simjet 1700 Bendix

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 04:55 AM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simjet 1700 Bendix

The starter bendix will not retract back into it's housing after it has engaged the spinner nut. I can push it back by hand after the engine has stopped rotating. I have put light oil on the protuding part but it does not seem to help. I have tried removing the front part of the starter housing to get at the start motor and bendix but I can't seem to get it to turn. Is there a secret I don't know about on how to get at the motor and do you have a replacement motor and bendix? If so what would be it's cost and how long would it take to get here?
Thanks,
Galen

Galen Skeem
194 Carroll Way
Chehalis, WA 98532
360-748-4747
[email protected]
Old 06-19-2003, 10:33 AM
KevinM

Hi Galen,

To access the starter motor, unscrew the starter bullet (there's a seam line about half way up) and pull straight out. The bendix should extend and retract freely. Also, check for wear on the O-ring, as this may be what's holding the bendix in the engaged position.

Is it during a start that the bendix is not retracting, or just when you initially turn on the ECU?

I do have a replacement motor and bendix assembly if necessary. (Shipping is usually 3-4 days.)
Old 06-19-2003, 12:26 PM
booker-RCU

Hi Kevin,
It is during start that the bendix will not retract. It may be the o ring is slipping also as it takes a while to spool up.
I have seen the seam and have tried to unscrew it at that point. but it will not unscrew. I hate to use wrenches such as vicegrips or pipe wrenches for fear of damaging the housing. Any suggestions would be apreciated.
Galen
Old 06-19-2003, 12:35 PM
KevinM

Galen,

It definitely sounds like your O-ring is due for replacement. Although some of the starter assemblies are tight, you should still be able to loosen it by hand. Make sure you're "loosening" it the right way! (The starter assembly has standard threading.) I would certainly stay away from pipe wrenches or vise-grips. (Maybe if you have a small enough strap wrench, but I would only use that as a last resort, and caution would definitely be the word.)

The O-ring is a 13mm (od) x 2.5mm (x-section). Although more difficult to find than standard sizes, you should still be able to get one locally. (Or we can sell them to you as well, I have a stock here.)
Old 06-19-2003, 12:42 PM
booker-RCU

Kevan,
I try turning the outer portion of the housing counter clockwise which I'm sure is the correct way. I'll try some heat from a heat gun on the inner portion and see if that helps.
Thanks for the advice.
Galen
Old 06-19-2003, 12:59 PM
KevinM

Galen,

If you need to add heat, it's the outer portion to which you should add it. When looking from the front, you are correct that counter-clockwise is the correct direction to turn. Please let me know what you find.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:56 PM
booker-RCU

Kevin,
Just a little heat from the heat gun did the trick. You're right, it is the O ring. I'll try and find one locally, If I can't I'll give you a call.
I could try turning it over and using the side that is not worn but I'd rather have a new one.
Thanks again,
Galen
Old 06-19-2003, 04:18 PM
KevinM

Hi Galen,

Using the other side of the O-ring is a trick I only recommend as an act of desparation. It will work, and work fine, for a while. But it will wear out quickly, and for the cost of an O-ring it's just not worth it.

Since you mentionned that the starter was slipping, another thing I would recommend is to wipe down the compressor nut with a bit of acetone on a cloth. Sometimes I've found that worn O-rings seem to leave a residue on the compressor nut that impedes the next O-ring from getting a really good grip. Besides, it's a 2 second task while the starter is out.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:27 PM
booker-RCU

Kevin,
A local business ordered me some o rings, took 1 day to get them, and installed one in the Bendix then tested it. While I haven't actually started the turbine it looks as if the the problem is solved.
Thanks for the help.
Galen
Old 06-23-2003, 01:29 PM
KevinM

Glad to hear it!