RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   SimJet Turbine Direct Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/simjet-turbine-direct-support-199/)
-   -   Simjet Battery queerie (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/simjet-turbine-direct-support-199/10599436-simjet-battery-queerie.html)

Vinceyboy 06-30-2011 12:11 AM

Simjet Battery queerie

Hi Kerry, I have a 19lb Simjet turbine, it is a semi start unit, i.e. it does not have a starter but came with a wand type starter. The turbine uses the old solid aluminium block type ECU, with the cockpit unit that has the lights and a small switch on it.

I am in the process of fitting this turbine into a Boomerang Intro, (as It is sitting doing nothing) The turbine uses a big 9.6v Nihm ECU battery, which is a pain due to the weight in the airframe + using the Nihm radio batteries, it stats getting a bit overweight!

Is this the only type of battery that will work with this older type turbine? And 9.6v seems a lot considering there is not a starter motor on the engine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Vince.

PS still not sorted my 3000 problem yet as I took the engine out and fitted a Jetcat, so still need to sort that one out in the future.

Uefly 06-30-2011 12:18 AM

RE: Simjet Battery queerie

Hi!

For that purpose just to run your engine by powering its fuelpump and glowplug, you can install a 3 cell LiFe-battery at about 2200 mah. That will be perfect. A 3 cell Life is putting out 9,9 volt.

Vinceyboy 06-30-2011 12:56 PM

Hi Ef, many thanks for your reply, my only concern was that as this turbine had the old type ECU, which does not have a hand terminal, (gameboy) that it could only use a desinated Nicad/Nihm type battery, unlike Jetcat or Wren, whereby you select battery type via the hand terminal but your suggestion would certainly solve the problem for size and weight.

Many thanks,

Vince.

Vinceyboy 07-04-2011 12:38 AM

Hi all, I have checked out the LiFe A123 type batteries and it says that although they are rated at 9.9v, a fully charged pack voltage is 10.8v, would this be a problem and could it damage the ECU? as I am no expert on the matter, I just want to have peace of mind before changing it over from the standard NiHm battery, as this turbine uses the older type ECU.

Thanks, Vince.

Uefly 07-04-2011 03:03 AM

Hi!

You can use that battery, no problem. I do use 3 cell LiPo on my SimJet 2002-fadec, even if it came with a 9,6 volt NiCad.

Vinceyboy 07-04-2011 04:09 AM

Thanks UF for your input and help,

regards,

Vince.

Vampire 07-11-2011 10:57 AM

Hi Vince,

Sorry for the delay in response, I have been away on Vac.

With the 2002-D2 ecu (Brick) we recommend the 11.1vdc 3S LiPo x 2200 mah. min.

The solenoids are 12vdc so this is not a problem.

I and many SIMJET operators have been using this set-up for several years without issue.

Best Regards

Vinceyboy 07-11-2011 02:37 PM

Hi Kerry, many thanks for your reply, hope you had a good vacation. I have puchased the 9.9v 2300ma A123 as suggested by UF in his post above, the original battery was a 9.6v Nicad/Nhm.

hope this will be ok.

thanks,

Vince.

Vampire 07-13-2011 03:18 AM

Hi Vince,

I have other customers using the A123's as well and they are happy with the results.

Best Regards,

Vinceyboy 07-13-2011 05:44 AM

Hi Kerry,

will post results once I get it running, next job is to get that 3000 turbine sorted, as Gaspar said that the ECU is okay, so need to investigate further.

Many thanks,

Vince.