Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Set Up Question

Old 02-03-2011, 09:38 AM
rcflyer04
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Set Up Question

I just purchased the PowerExpander Competition 12, with the fail safe switch and am going to use 2 a123 2300MAH packs. When there hooked up to the Expander with the charging jacks hooked up per. inst. is it ok charge that way using a Cell Pro Multi 4 charger 1 at a time? I have 2 Cell pro's and can do 2 if that works, I seem to have heard something about common ground, would that be a problem with it set up like this? Or whats the best way to set up? I may I need a different charger, I am open to ideas.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 AM
rrritchey

Default RE: Set Up Question

Hi Dan,
The common ground will prevent you from charging both packs at the same time with any charger but a Fromeco Cube. You can charge one battery at a time without any changes just fine. If you want to charge both at the same time using the CellPro then you would have to break the circuit between the two batteries.

ORIGINAL: rcflyer04

I just purchased the PowerExpander Competition 12, with the fail safe switch and am going to use 2 a123 2300MAH packs. When there hooked up to the Expander with the charging jacks hooked up per. inst. is it ok charge that way using a Cell Pro Multi 4 charger 1 at a time? I have 2 Cell pro's and can do 2 if that works, I seem to have heard something about common ground, would that be a problem with it set up like this? Or whats the best way to set up? I may I need a different charger, I am open to ideas.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 02-03-2011, 10:45 AM
rcflyer04

Thanks for the fast reply,

Dan
Old 02-03-2011, 11:04 AM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

[quote]ORIGINAL: rrritchey

Hi Dan,
The common ground will prevent you from charging both packs at the same time with any charger but a Fromeco Cube. You can charge one battery at a time without any changes just fine. If you want to charge both at the same time using the CellPro then you would have to break the circuit between the two batteries.

I have your Eq6 in my AW 35% Extra setup as fallows, batteries (Ion) - switches - Eq6. Two batteries floght pack, one battery ignition with your regulator.

I also have your Power Expander Pro in my AW 40% Extra with A123 batteries set up the same way batteries , switches , power expander ( I do have your regulator on the ignition battery)

I have always charged through the charg jack in the switches and have never had a problem.
Is that the proper way to charge or am I doing it wrong?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 AM
rrritchey

Hi Larry,
If you have switches then charge through the switch charge ports unless you want to do balance charging then you have to access the battery's balance plug also. Both systems are common ground so trying to charge both batteries at once will cause problems. Charging one at a time or by breaking the connection between the two batteries you can charge both at once.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 AM
rcflyer04

After doing a search I noticed the Fromeco Cube is not made anymore so I guess I will be charging 1 at a time thru the fuse unless I want to open the plane up.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:28 AM
rrritchey

We have one A123 cube left but, yes, that is it until they redesign the unit.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:55 AM
tail strike

ORIGINAL: rrritchey

Hi Larry,
If you have switches then charge through the switch charge ports unless you want to do balance charging then you have to access the battery's balance plug also. Both systems are common ground so trying to charge both batteries at once will cause problems. Charging one at a time or by breaking the connection between the two batteries you can charge both at once.
I do charge both batteries that are connected to your power expander at the same time through their individual switch.
They charge up and both will take about the same Mah.

Larry
Old 02-03-2011, 11:57 AM
rrritchey

Hi Larry,
OK, are you by any chance using the wall wart kind of charger instead of something like a Triton?
Old 02-03-2011, 12:21 PM
tail strike

Hi Larry,
OK, are you by any chance using the wall wart kind of charger instead of something like a Triton?
With the Ions I was using Fromeco's cube,
Now I am using an Imax B6 quattro charger
I have yet to do a ballance charge on the A123's, I got them from Aerwild and they didn't have the right ballance plug so I sent them to Kurt to have the right plug put on them

Larry S
Old 02-03-2011, 12:31 PM
rrritchey

Hi Larry,
With the Cube you can charge both at the same time. I would be careful with the Imax B6 trying to charge both at the same time. I am surprised it works. Do you use two chargers?
Old 02-03-2011, 12:36 PM
tail strike

Hi Larry,
With the Cube you can charge both at the same time. I would be careful with the Imax B6 trying to charge both at the same time. I am surprised it works. Do you use two chargers?
The Imax B6 quattro will charge four 4 batteries at once all four can be of different chemestries & different capacitys so it is like you have four chargers rolled into one.

The charger is just like this one but has a different name.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/HSCHARGER.html

I found it this is what I have http://www.rctech.net/forum/rcmart-c...lue-combo.html
Old 02-03-2011, 12:43 PM
rrritchey

Hi Larry,
OK, I don't know much about that charger but none of the chargers that come out of China are common ground capable, at least to my knowledge.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:35 PM
tail strike

Hi Larry,
OK, I don't know much about that charger but none of the chargers that come out of China are common ground capable, at least to my knowledge.

Soooooo are you saying that I need to charge one battery at a time or
unplug one battery from the system when charging?

Thank you for your answers and your time
Old 02-03-2011, 01:46 PM
rrritchey

Hi Larry,
It seems to be working so I don't know. Normally I would say yes but normally one channel should give you an error.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:53 PM
tail strike

Hi Larry,
It seems to be working so I don't know. Normally I would say yes but normally one channel should give you an error.

It seems that the quattro is like the cube.
the four outputs are like four individual chargers seperate form each other.
I have never gotten eny error messages on the quattro.

Thanks again for your replies.