Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A123's and the Suer Reg

Normal0falsefalsefalseoNotPromoteQF />EN-USX-NONEontGrowAutofit />ontVertAlignCellWithSp />ontBreakConstrainedForcedTables />ontVertAlignInTxbx />MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hi Robert, the receiver NICADs for my 1/3 L5 have finally given up after 5 years O well. I have decided to try A123’s. I have the Smart-Fly Power Expander Pro and Super Reg. Since I was using NICAD’s the Super Reg has been comfortably stored in its box (I had a bad experience with LiPoly). I was wondering about the effects of the 6.6 volts on my HiTech 645M (control surfaces) and smaller servos (for engine also rated 6.0 volts). I fully understand that you do not know the condition of my servos but I am asking the question in general. I can use the SuperReg to reduce the voltage but is it necesssary. I did read the information on the Power Expander and noted that A123’s can be plugged in directly. I also use the fail-safe switch.

Thanks John M.

Real Airplanes have rag wings and round engines!
    They are all real... Some are just larger than others!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: A123's and the Suer Reg

Hi John,
    A123s work fine with the SuperReg as long as you do not set the SuperReg above 6.0V. You need about 0.5V difference between the input voltage and the set output voltage. If the input goes below that differential the output will drop.
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Robert for the quick reply. Iwill make a broad assumption that you do not think it is a good idea to 6.6 volts into the servos. Also, 'the output will drop' that does not meen the Servos will quit, they will just get less voltage.

Thanks

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,
    Actually, its hard to say about the servos. "Most" servos will take the 7.2V OK (full charge) and 6.6V is really fine, but you need to check you particular servo type. Sorry I cannot be more help. People generally run A123s so they do not have to run regulators, that is one of the "perceived" advantages.
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Robert that helps make my decision more informative.

John