Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

PowerSystem vs PowerExpander

Old 03-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Nick Yuhasz
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default PowerSystem vs PowerExpander

I have been ordering and using PowerExpander Competition 12's for my jets equipped with dual A123 batteries / switches and Futaba 2.4 Ghz 6014FS (original versions) receivers. I have been very happy with those units!

I am now being offered a new PowerSystem Competition 12 instead of the Expander 12 by one of my normal vendors.

My question is: I need all servo channels to have their signal boosted to 5V for non-Futaba high power digital servos (I think both units do that), so is the only drawback to the PowerSystem is that there is no redundancy for the onboard regulator? Any other items to consider between both units?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68015.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1737129  
Old 03-10-2012, 12:26 PM
rrritchey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PowerSystem vs PowerExpander

ORIGINAL: Nick Yuhasz
I have been ordering and using PowerExpander Competition 12's for my jets equipped with dual A123 batteries / switches and Futaba 2.4 Ghz 6014FS (original versions) receivers. I have been very happy with those units!
I am now being offered a new PowerSystem Competition 12 instead of the Expander 12 by one of my normal vendors.
My question is: I need all servo channels to have their signal boosted to 5V for non-Futaba high power digital servos (I think both units do that), so is the only drawback to the PowerSystem is that there is no redundancy for the onboard regulator? Any other items to consider between both units?
Thanks in advance.
Nick
Both units boost the servo control voltage to 5V.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Nick Yuhasz

Thanks for the quick reply and great products.

One last question: With the Expander unit, I assume all connected servos could draw current until wire or circuit traces fail. With the onboard regulator of the PowerSystem, I read it can handle 7.5 amps continuous across all servos. Does that mean the Expander unit could inherently handle more amps overall before failing?

I am being offered the "New in Package" PowerSystem at the PowerExpander price (I assume to reduce their inventory) and I want to be sure I am choosing the correct unit since the 4 PowerExpanders I have are great!

Thanks

Nick
Old 03-10-2012, 12:48 PM
rrritchey

Thanks for the quick reply and great products.
One last question: With the Expander unit, I assume all connected servos could draw current until wire or circuit traces fail. With the onboard regulator of the PowerSystem, I read it can handle 7.5 amps continuous across all servos. Does that mean the Expander unit could inherently handle more amps overall before failing?
I am being offered the ''New in Package'' PowerSystem at the PowerExpander price (I assume to reduce their inventory) and I want to be sure I am choosing the correct unit since the 4 PowerExpanders I have are great!
Thanks
Nick
On the expander there are still some active circuits in between the batteries and the servos, the BatShare circuit for instance. The BatShare uses 12 amp diodes (continuous, 130A pulsed) so there is a limit that would be reached before circuit traces gave out. When you start regulating you have more active circuits and the regulator has to dissipate heat to drop the voltage. So you have to make sure you do not overload the regulator and cause it to fail. That is why we specify a plane size when regulators are involved, for the PowerSystem Comp 12 Super its 100cc class planes. Who is selling you this, you are sure they are a Smart-Fly dealer?
Old 03-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Nick Yuhasz

Thanks for the detailed explanation; now you know why I use and recommend your products to my jet friends. I will just request the Expander that I had originally ordered. They give me peace of mind even in my A-10 Warthog.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20201.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1737237  
Old 03-11-2012, 09:45 AM
rrritchey

Thanks for the detailed explanation; now you know why I use and recommend your products to my jet friends. I will just request the Expander that I had originally ordered. They give me peace of mind even in my A-10 Warthog.
Nick
Glad I could be of help. A-10 looks very nice. Thanks for the picture.