Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Power Expander Servo Extension Plugs to Pin Connections

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:24 PM
leroy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Expander Servo Extension Plugs to Pin Connections

We've lost a few planes due to servo plugs coming out of the pin connections in the power expanders either during flight or prior to flight during wing installation to fuselage. Is there any way of securing the servo plugs into the pin slots on the power expanders to ensure they are secure.

We realize one needs to take care and ensure all is well before bolting down the wing. However, it doesn't take much to partially dislodge a servo plug which comes out later in flight. We've had it happen on the aileron servo extensions in the power expander and, luckily landed safely.

Some of our club members have resorted to applying a small bead of silicone down along the servo plugs and pins to ensure no separation.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Leroy
Old 07-31-2012, 01:35 PM
rrritchey

Default RE: Power Expander Servo Extension Plugs to Pin Connections

Hi Leroy,
Sorry, but we do not have a specific way to do this. It honestly has rarely come up. Usually the issue is the wires being loose and able to flop around. Securing the wires so they cannot move around should take care of any issues. For the wings I use Multiplex plugs so that aileron wires going into the PowerExpander can be restrained and I am not constantly plugging and unplugging them. The tiny sockets in the plugs will start to wear out after a couple hundred cycles. The Multiplex connectors are much studier and can hold up to a lot more cycles.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:54 AM
smarks

Default RE: Power Expander Servo Extension Plugs to Pin Connections

I use the EQ6 and this has crossed my mind before as well. I do not use anything to secure the lead in the board itself, instead I make sure everything is tied down and restrained, especially the aileron leads. If they don't flop around like Bob described, it shouldn't be an issue. And of course I always push them down and make sure they are secure at the start of every flying session.