Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

electric gear

Old 12-12-2012, 10:05 AM
cabinwacoman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric gear

Has anyone used the new Robart electric gear with a smart fly unit? I have a large scale Corsair and want to convert the main gear to electric. I am wondering if therecouldbeany problems powering the gear through the smart fly power expanders. I havethecompetition 12 units withouta regulator for the servos and am using a dual A123 set up withtwo 2300mah batteries.The servos with this type of expander see direct battery voltage.

I know the new electric gear use an "amp out" circuit to shut the electric actuators off at their limits. Since the power expanders are alwayslooking at battery voltage/condition I wonder if there would be any problems here. I know the option would be to power the gear through a separate battery but was hoping to keep this simple.

Thanks for any advice/experience.

Neal Goodfriend
Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 AM
rrritchey

Default RE: electric gear

Hi,
It should work. I guess my only concern would be if they bound up and drew a huge amount of current and
basically overloaded the wiring and connectors due to continuous current. A separate battery on the gear
would give you protection against a catastrophic event and you might only have to belly land instead of loosing
the whole plane. I would feel better if you had said that they monitored their own current and would shut down
if they determined there was an overcurrent situation. I know that large sailplanes have this issue with their
single retractable wheel and most of those guys run a separate battery to avoid a disaster with a jammed gear.

The BatShare on the input is looking at the two batteries to be sure they are equal. It does not limit the
current into the unit.

ORIGINAL: cabinwacoman

Has anyone used the new Robart electric gear with a smart fly unit? I have a large scale Corsair and want to convert the main gear to electric. I am wondering if there could be any problems powering the gear through the smart fly power expanders. I have the competition 12 units without a regulator for the servos and am using a dual A123 set up with two 2300mah batteries. The servos with this type of expander see direct battery voltage.

I know the new electric gear use an ''amp out'' circuit to shut the electric actuators off at their limits. Since the power expanders are always looking at battery voltage/condition I wonder if there would be any problems here. I know the option would be to power the gear through a separate battery but was hoping to keep this simple.

Thanks for any advice/experience.

Neal Goodfriend
Old 12-12-2012, 11:43 AM
cabinwacoman
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: electric gear

Thanks Robert:

The way Robart explains the circuit is that the gear will always shut down when the "amp -out" circuit sees an "peak" caused by an obstruction jamming the gear, or by the gear reaching their travel limit. This causes the gear to stop automatically and allows you to reverse direction. It is the normal mode of travel limit in that the amp peak circuit trips the actuator motor off when the travel limit is reached during normal operation.

I was only concerned with the "peaking" causing something funky in the batt share if it the amp peaks were to affect the voltage. Safety wise, Robart has the amp out circuit set to a safe level for our normal servo leads as they do not specify anything special. They do have options to run the gear on the receiver battery or dedicated battery. .

I asked this same question to Robart as well. They had not run into this question before and did not know exactly what the power expanders were monitoring. I think the separate battery would be the safe way to go, but I just want to be sure it is necessary.

It appears nobody has experience in this type of installation yet. I know this gear is new.

Thanks for your quick response and great products!

Neal