Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

PowerSystem Competition 12 Plus use with Futaba S-Bus

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Capt Midnight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PowerSystem Competition 12 Plus use with Futaba S-Bus

Hey Robert...

I would appreciate your comments, advice, and/or suggestions about how to best integrate some of Futaba's S-Bus components with your PowerSystem Competition 12 Plus system. To elaborate further, I recently completed construction of a 35% Pilot-RC Yak using conventional wiring techniques & components; i.e., Futaba R6014 receiver combined with your PowerSystem Competition 12 Plus board, wired to 4 aileron servos (Hitec; 2 per flight surface, each pair wired direct to the separate channel pinouts on the P/S board), 2 elevator servos (Hitec, 1 per elevator half, each wired directly to the separate channel pinouts on the P/S Competition board), and two rudder servos (both Hitec, wired directly to separate pinouts on the same channel on the P/S board).

All the servos have been individually adjusted for mechanical neutral and reprogrammed for travel and end-points to eliminate servo/battery drain; a classic setup for Giant Scale Aerobatic aircraft.

Futaba recently announced their GYA430 (one servo) and GYA431 (Dual Servos) Gyros, both of which are S-Bus only and cannot be used with convention 2.4 Ghz Futaba receivers (i. e., the R6014), nor wired directly into the P/S board as we've done in the past using that type of Futaba receiver. The new Gyros must be used with a FASSTest receiver such as the R7008SB receiver (7 conventional channels + 8 S-Bus + S-Bus2 for telemetry).

I am now contemplating using the new Gyros (2 GYA431's for the elevator and aileron functions, and 1 GYA430 for the rudder) which will require me to shift over to the R7008SB receiver in order to do so.

So now after all this, my question is: "How do I wire this in to the P/S Competition 12 Plus so that I can still take advantage of the load capacity of the P/S board"?

Do I wire the Gyros into the signal circuit between the R7008SB and the P/S, or do I wire the Gyros in AFTER the P/S board, but before the load (servos)? In either case, I have to plan to wire the power bus around the Gyros directly to the servos, as Futaba's load limit (per segment bus) is still 3 amps total.

Your thoughts, comments are appreciated.

Ain't technology great?

Bob
Old 03-07-2013, 11:36 AM
rrritchey

Default RE: PowerSystem Competition 12 Plus use with Futaba S-Bus

Hi,
Assuming the gyros have convention outputs and not S.Bus outputs you would wire them in between the R7008SB and the Competition 12. You can run S.Bus signals through the Comp 12 but they are going to come out at 5V signal levels instead of 3.3V signal levels that S.Bus is defined at. Not sure if the S.Bus components have protection against signal levels above 3.3V. Hope this helps. Will be working on units more S.Bus compatible this year.

ORIGINAL: Capt Midnight

Hey Robert...

I would appreciate your comments, advice, and/or suggestions about how to best integrate some of Futaba's S-Bus components with your PowerSystem Competition 12 Plus system. To elaborate further, I recently completed construction of a 35% Pilot-RC Yak using conventional wiring techniques & components; i.e., Futaba R6014 receiver combined with your PowerSystem Competition 12 Plus board, wired to 4 aileron servos (Hitec; 2 per flight surface, each pair wired direct to the separate channel pinouts on the P/S board), 2 elevator servos (Hitec, 1 per elevator half, each wired directly to the separate channel pinouts on the P/S Competition board), and two rudder servos (both Hitec, wired directly to separate pinouts on the same channel on the P/S board).

All the servos have been individually adjusted for mechanical neutral and reprogrammed for travel and end-points to eliminate servo/battery drain; a classic setup for Giant Scale Aerobatic aircraft.

Futaba recently announced their GYA430 (one servo) and GYA431 (Dual Servos) Gyros, both of which are S-Bus only and cannot be used with convention 2.4 Ghz Futaba receivers (i. e., the R6014), nor wired directly into the P/S board as we've done in the past using that type of Futaba receiver. The new Gyros must be used with a FASSTest receiver such as the R7008SB receiver (7 conventional channels + 8 S-Bus + S-Bus2 for telemetry).

I am now contemplating using the new Gyros (2 GYA431's for the elevator and aileron functions, and 1 GYA430 for the rudder) which will require me to shift over to the R7008SB receiver in order to do so.

So now after all this, my question is: ''How do I wire this in to the P/S Competition 12 Plus so that I can still take advantage of the load capacity of the P/S board''?

Do I wire the Gyros into the signal circuit between the R7008SB and the P/S, or do I wire the Gyros in AFTER the P/S board, but before the load (servos)? In either case, I have to plan to wire the power bus around the Gyros directly to the servos, as Futaba's load limit (per segment bus) is still 3 amps total.

Your thoughts, comments are appreciated.

Ain't technology great?

Bob
Old 03-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Capt Midnight

Bob...

The Gryo outputs appear to be S-Bus (for signal). The power circuit (the Red + and the Black - leads) would have to be rewired. Futaba now has instructions up on their site, but they only contain rough scematics.

B.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Capt Midnight

Bob...

Now that I've had time to thing about it, I take that last statement back. The outputs appear to be conventional, as the instruction says that the user can use either analog or digital servos on the output side. That would seen to imply a normal signal range of 3.3v to 5v, wouldn't it?

B.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:07 PM
rrritchey

Hi,
Analog and digital servos generally can accept 3.0V to 5.5V on the signal line. Its a pulse between 0.80 milliseconds and 2.20 milliseconds. S.Bus is defined only for 3.3V signal levels and is a serial data stream that represents 16 channels of 12-bit data along with some sync bytes and status bytes. If the gyro outputs are compatible with standard servos then you can run them through the Comp 12 just fine.

ORIGINAL: Capt Midnight

Bob...

Now that I've had time to thing about it, I take that last statement back. The outputs appear to be conventional, as the instruction says that the user can use either analog or digital servos on the output side. That would seen to imply a normal signal range of 3.3v to 5v, wouldn't it?

B.