Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

BatShare for gas engine ignition

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:38 AM
nikonlarry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BatShare for gas engine ignition

Would it make any sense to use a BatShare with 2 Lithium Ion 7.4v batteries for redundent ignition on a gas engine?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:48 AM
rrritchey

Default RE: BatShare for gas engine ignition

Hi,
If you wanted redundancy it would work. Because of the 0.47V drop of the BatShare it would
not work with 4.8V batteries on ignition but in your case the voltage is just fine.

ORIGINAL: nikonlarry

Would it make any sense to use a BatShare with 2 Lithium Ion 7.4v batteries for redundent ignition on a gas engine?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:12 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone used these Bat Shares on 2.4? Just wondering how well they work with them.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:16 PM
rrritchey

It does not matter what frequency the receiver operates on, the BatShare is a totally
passive device.

ORIGINAL: hooker53
Has anyone used these Bat Shares on 2.4? Just wondering how well they work with them.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:20 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Robert.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:12 PM
montagma
My Feedback: (3)

In my opinion, you would be better off running a smartfly sport reg and having redundant batteries to the receiver with regulated power, then use an IBEC off of the receiver to run the ignition. This way you have the redundancy to bothe receiver and ignition as well as noise filtering and optical cutoff from your transmitter.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:28 AM
rrritchey

Hi,
Running an IBEC defeats any isolation. IBECs are not isolated, they are just switched regulators. Any issue in the ignition will feed right back into the receiver. Their filtering is only good when when the ignition is operating properly, a bad capacitor, transformer arc, etc will take your plane down.

ORIGINAL: montagma

In my opinion, you would be better off running a smartfly sport reg and having redundant batteries to the receiver with regulated power, then use an IBEC off of the receiver to run the ignition. This way you have the redundancy to bothe receiver and ignition as well as noise filtering and optical cutoff from your transmitter.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:21 AM
TBK

Rob

On the advice of the guys at Thunderbolt RC I just purchased the Sport Reg, IBEC and failsafe switch to use to power my new 26% Pilot Yak 55. From what you are saying by using this combination I am putting my new plane at risk. I already lost one plane this year to a complete radio failure as a result of a failed power distribution module (not a smart fly unit). Should I go with a separate ignition circuit and battery and use the Sport reg only to drive the receiver and servos? I already have a smart fly ignition kill switch which is optically isolated. An advice would be helpful here.

Terry