Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

AR9350 with Competition 12

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 11:17 PM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello!

As stated in the subject line, I have a Competition 12 to use with a Spektrum AR9350. This RX is programmable from an external connection. In the past, before I grew up, lol, I just ran two batteries on two different switches--1 to the battery port, the other to the bind/data port. That way, I could plug into the switch and make any necessary changes to the receiver without having to open up the plane. The instructions that come with this thing are a bit incomplete.

This method worked great, without any issues.

However, now that I have the Comp-12 installed, I have lost the data connection because of the Deans connections on the board are only 2 conductor entering the board. Which means if I want to program the RX, I have to disconnect the power pigtail from the RX to plug in the program cable, meaning opening up the plane, yadda yadda. The other idea I had was to jump the control wire from the switch/board connection and run only the control wire directly to the RX.

I am wondering will this cause an issue in the Comp-12's operation? If so, is there another method I can use to accommodate my needs? I would really hate to have to open the aircraft (especially a biplane) to make a simple but necessary adjustment instead of simply connecting a cord as I have in the past.

Please advise,

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by djmp69; 05-27-2020 at 01:10 AM. Reason: original post was fine
Old 05-26-2020, 11:52 PM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

..So it turns out I misunderstood how to connect this. I was under the impression that the 3 line leads were for battery connections, and they are, but not as I thought. Ihad to get my head out of the receiver for a moment. I spoke to a very patient gentleman at Quest, and he helped me understand. So I can't put the 3 line pigtails from the board into the battery or bind ports, but I can put them in any servo connection and still use them as servo connection. If I still want to program the receiver from the outside, I can use my existing switch as an access point only, and connect it to the bind/data port. Now here's where it get weird. As he explained to me in better detail than the vague instruction manual, I realized in entirety the purpose of this device, which EVERY aircraft should have. What I can't understand that is why they don't include the failsafe switch if it's really the only sensible way to go? In order to properly connect this system, and significantly reduce the risk of damage or severe voltage drop, the way the system is designed, it really doesn't make any sense to have if you're not going to use the failsafe switch.
At any rate, I now have ordered ANOTHER piece to complete the system, should be up and running soon.

Last edited by djmp69; 05-27-2020 at 11:07 AM.