Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Welcome To Smart-Fly Support Forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 09:29 AM
rrritchey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welcome To Smart-Fly Support Forum

Please post your technical questions regarding all Smart-Fly products in this forum. I will be checking in regularly in this forum to answer all support questions. If you have customer service issues please contact me directly at this number (480) 460-2652 or email me by clicking the email link below. This forum should be used for tech support of Smart-Fly products only please.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:16 PM
Electriceddie

Default RE: Welcome To Smart-Fly Support Forum

Can the Smart-Fly equalizer II be used with regular servos or just digital, or both?
Old 10-28-2004, 09:17 AM
rrritchey

The Smart-Fly Equalizer II can be used with either analog or digital
servos. Both servos work off the same signal from the receiver, the
only difference between the two is actually buried in the servo and
is how the two drive the motor. The Equalizer II takes the output
signal from the receiver and modifies it to adjust the centering and
throw of the two servos connected to it. I hope this explains things.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:56 PM
Electriceddie

Hey there!

Try this link to my problem that you responded to:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2273403

This was a thread I started and have gotten some response to.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:19 PM
rrritchey

The Equalizer II should be exactly what you need. It will reverse either or both servos and will adjust the centering and endpoints of each elevator half.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:49 PM
allancito
My Feedback: (2)

Robert,
Hopefully you can help me out with the following problem.

I have a Brison 50cc in a GP Patty Wagstaff. I have about 50 flights on it and several weeks ago the engine died. It would idle roughly but if I gave it any throttle at all it just flooded and died. I checked everything and blamed the ignition module. I figured it was failing under load so procured a new one. Long story short, it done the same. Engine will idle rough but will not take any throttle. Stripped the carb and it was perfect. I was damned if I good get the thing right.

Today for some reason I took the ignition cut off system out of the circuit and the engine came back to life. Full power, everything perfect. I reconnecected the ignition cut off and engine died.

The small LED is bright and turns on and off with the channel five switch. It carries enough current to let the engine idle but it will not give a milliamp more.

Any ideas on cause or have I just got a dud one. I have two more of these ready to fit in my 2.6 meter YAK and my 3.1 super extra. My concern is if this thing failed running a single cylinder CH ignition unit what chances of a failure do I have switching large twin cylinder engines.

This worries me a little and I wonder if this has happened before. I can send the systyem back withpout any problems if you want to dissect it and see what failed.

Trust you can help.

Regards
Allan
Antofagasta
Chile.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:07 PM
rrritchey

Allan,
This sounds like something may have gone wrong in the unit. We have these units running 100cc and 150cc engines with no problems so I do not think this has anything to do with the amount of current that the unit needs to handle. I will get you out a new unit right away. These units have been very dependable so I am not sure what may have happened. Please send me your mailing address to "[email protected]".
Old 11-01-2004, 08:19 PM
allancito

Robert.

For response and service I must give you a AAAAAA+++++ rating. The response was fantastic. I will send you my address by Email seperately and I will also return the unit so you can have a look in the bowels to see what happened. I use a lot of your equipment and cannot thank you enough for the service and support.

Allan
Old 11-24-2004, 10:42 AM
Brian_AZ

Robert,

I purchased the 6V regulator from you at my home field (Sun Valley Fliers) in Phoenix this year. I have two batteries connected to the same regulator and for the last 30 flights or so the charge was within a few mAh's. Now when I charge the batteries after a day of flying one battery will need something like 400mAh while the other will only need 175mAh. I ran a full discharge and charge cycle and they where within 2mAh on the discharge and 15mAh on the charge (compared to each other). Could the regulator be causing this?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 11-24-2004, 11:07 AM
rrritchey

Brian,
The most likely reason might be if one connector was not making good contact with the lead from the switch or that switch with the lead from the battery. This could be for a number of reasons. Have you checked these connections to be sure they are tight? If one connector got oxidized or for some reason a wire has fatigue cracks in the copper then its possible but I think unlikely. I did have another person using my BatShare that complained of the same thing and their cause was a loose connection.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:32 PM
flyinrain
My Feedback: (25)

Robert, I'm looking at purchasing your Batshare and have a question. My airplane will have a gas engine with electronic ignition and I was wondering if I can use dual batteries and your Batshare to run both the ignition and Rx at the same time? I've seen people use dual batteries for the Rx but not to also run the ignition. Thanks
Old 11-29-2004, 02:49 PM
rrritchey

Hi,
This is really not an advisable way to go. You want to keep your ignition and radio separate as possible because of the noise the ignition generates. Hooking your ignition to the same ground as your radio will allow RF from the ignition to feedback into your receiver. I doubt you will find anyone that thinks you should run the receiver and ignition off common power. Please feel free to ask if you need me to elaborate any.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:01 PM
Brian_AZ

Robert,

Thanks for the help! I checked all the connections and even changed battery leads. The batteries now discharge at the same rate.

Thanks again for the help and quick response,
Brian
Old 11-29-2004, 05:25 PM
rrritchey

Brian,
I don't know if you have to disconnect for your charge or not. If you don't you might think about using some heat-shrink tubing to hold the two halves of the connectors together so they cannot work loose. I do this on my servo leads and battery leads.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:09 PM
Brian_AZ

Robert,

I usually use Parson Products safety plug clips but ran out. I have them everywhere but from the switches to the regulator. I'll use heat shrink as you suggested for these connections.

Thanks again,
Brian
Old 12-01-2004, 05:56 PM
allancito

Robert, a technical question. Today I fitted your new power expander. Absolutely brilliant and well priced product. However I have been told that you should run at least one servo off the reciever. Preferably throttle. The reason is this provides a ground for the antenna. If you do do this way then you will likely suffer trouble with range.

I am sure there are plenty out there who would like to know, including me.

Regards

Allan
Chile
Old 12-01-2004, 06:12 PM
rrritchey

Allan,
Here is a reference that is talking about full size planes but it does talk about antenna ground planes, http://www.sportflight.com/kfb/groundplane.htm. Whether you plug the servo wires into the receiver itself or plug them into the PowerExpander, the ground the receiver sees, the ground the servos see and the PowerExpander ground are all one because of the extremely low impedance of the ground plane in the PowerExpander. There may be something I am missing here, but to my way of thinking, whether the servos were connected to the receiver or to PowerExpander should not make any difference, the ground wire in the servo leads still act as a ground plane by radiating out in all four directions from the center of the plane (nose, plane, wings). If anyone has anything to add on this I welcome comments.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:38 PM
santi
My Feedback: (32)

went out to the field today to get some practice on flying the new IMAC sequence. when i went to turn on the plane my equalizer 3d didnt come on. Hmmmmmm.... i said. Dont tell me that this thing gone bad already. Is there any way i can trouble shoot this thing to make sure? I had disconnected it from the battery and plugged it back in and still nothing. Tried another switch and battery and still nothing It had done this to me before. All i did was just turn off and on switch and the little green led lit up. Not this time..... I will give you a call monday the 27th.

Thanks
Santi Robillos
Old 12-25-2004, 02:23 PM
rrritchey

Santi,
I am not sure what may have happened. These are very reliable in general. I think
the best think is for me to get you out a new one on Monday. I don't see you in our
data base so I will need to get your address. I am sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:18 PM
santi
My Feedback: (32)

Rob,

Thanks for that speedy reply.
I am not sure what may have happened
I dont know either I guess its just one of those things[sm=confused.gif]

These are very reliable in general
I know, i have heard many good things about these little guys. Most of my buddies uses them and i will continue to use them in my future planes.

I think the best think is for me to get you out a new one on Monday. I don't see you in our
data base so I will need to get your address.
I had originally purchased the 3d equalizer from Airwild a few months ago so, you will not find me in your database. I will get in contact with you on Monday and give you my Address. In the mean time, I will get this thing packaged for shipping on Monday.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.
Its not a problem. [8D]

Santi
Old 09-03-2013, 04:55 PM
tbilotti

Robert, is this forum still active?
Old 07-30-2014, 04:55 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I too have a few questions.....
Old 07-30-2014, 05:33 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smart Fly is very active on their RCG forum.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:15 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can not find the site over there.

Last edited by tailskid; 07-30-2014 at 07:35 PM.