Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

whats need to run a 87" YAK with 3 batteries

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 02:15 PM
rodders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats need to run a 87" YAK with 3 batteries

Ritchey,
I know I have emailed you on this subject recently and you have been very helpful.
Could you just go over the options on a 25% ish(87"YAK) plane with 5 digital servo's, one on each surface and one standard servo on throttle again to give me the following :
2 batteries (lithium ion of approx 1800-2500mah) supplying the single reciever with power sharing and protection should one fail (failsafe).
1 battery (lithium ion 1500 -2000mah) supplying the ignition through a ignition cut off device.

Your email, though very helpfull left me wondering the following questions:
Does the SuperReg include the on/off switches at the ends of the wires not quite shown on your website?
Could you just run through the list of items needed.
Once I have the list I will go ahead and get the items
Rodders

Old 04-16-2005, 02:25 PM
rrritchey

Default RE: whats need to run a 87" YAK with 3 batteries

Hi Rodders,
I would suggest you look at our SuperReg for the regulator. It takes two batteries, provides isolation in case of one battey failure, has a remote failsafe switch and it is light at just under 2oz. The SuperReg comes with a failsafe switch but this is not a DSC style switch if that is what you are wondering. We have charge leads for each battery coming off the unit that you can also use to check your batteries at the field. You can buy charge jack mounts for these. You could use our SuperSwitchHD x2 if you wanted to have DSC switches but this would add weight.

For the ignition you will need a regulator and the Ignition Cutoff.

I hope this answered all your questions. If not, let me know.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:29 PM
rodders

Thanks Ritchey,
At the risk of looking silly, can you clear up where all the wires/leads go and what other connectors will I need to order and solder up?
SuperReg as shown on website:
O.K ,two male deans connectors at the input ports, which will have to have the batteries made up to match with female deans connectors- no problem.
One ,3 wire lead, which I presume goes directly into the reciever.
Two , 2 wire leads which go to the twin switch setup as descibed in your previous post.
Two, female deans connectors at the output ports-where do they fit in?
Maybe a laid out setup would give me a sporting chance!
Rodders.
Ready to order once, I can work out what I need
Old 04-22-2005, 02:44 PM
rrritchey

Hi,
The way to hook up the SuperReg is to have the two Deans male inputs from the SuperReg mate with the two female Deans on the batteries. The 3-wire lead you see is the remote switch lead. The two 2-wire leads you see are the charge jacks. The two female Deans on the SuperReg are the outputs. You would need to make up a Deans to R/C plug adapter if you want to go directly to a receiver. I have the Deans sets and I can sell you some JR male pigtails (270mm or 170mm) even though they are not on the site to assemble the adapter. For the Ignition you will need the Adjustable Regulator and the Ignition Cutoff. Sorry, but I don't have a picture of this right now. Please let me know if I can explain any of this more. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:21 PM
rodders

Ritchey,
Sorry that I have left it a while to get around to ordering.
Do I need two outputs, Deans male one end and a JR plug the other ( you refer to the as pigtails ) from the SuperReg to the Reciver, or can I run it on one pigtail?
Also is it advisable to charge the batteries through your SuperReg? Do I use one charger to charge both batteries at once, do I need two chargers, or just unplug them and charge them individually off the unit?
Also Airwild only show the SuperReg being used in conjunction with the Powerexpander on thier web site, am I missing something.

Please ammend my list ofReceiver bits as follows:
1 x SuperReg
1 or 2 pigtails ( deans male to JR male plug) please tell me how many.

Thanks in advance

Rodders
Old 06-01-2005, 02:49 PM
rrritchey

Hi Rodders,
If I understand what you are asking, you only need to use one of the outputs of the SuperReg to run power to your receiver but you should use multiple JR plugs into the receiver, otherwise you are constricting the power path and will see a voltage drop between the SuperReg and the receiver. Remember, a standard R/C plug (JR or Futaba) is only good for about 3 amps of current.

I would be careful trying to charge both batteries at the same time through the SuperReg as the batteries will have a common ground connection and this confuses some battery chargers and can result in an explosive event if the batteries are overcharged. You will have to determine if you charger can do both at once or not.

The TurboReg and SuperReg were designed as companions to the PowerExpander. Running the output of either of these to a receiver will work but you will see less power at your servos because of the R/C connectors that you have to use to connect to the receiver.

Please let me know if I did not answer all your questions.

thanks,
Old 06-02-2005, 12:20 PM
rodders

Thanks ritchey,
O.K now you are saying I will get a power drop if I don't use a power expander, remember it is only at 25% scale plane and I dont want the weight of too much extra gear to run the radio.
Is this power drop true of other regulators such as Duralite ?
I really didn't think it would be this much hassle to sort out.
Also on the Duralite website their redundancy package is just 2 failsafe regulators plugged straight into the RX, is this possible using your regulators?
I have no problen in using 2 pigtails into the Rx just wanted to know how many I would need.
Hope to get to the bottom of this question soon as I need to order the bits
Many Thanks
Rodders
Old 06-02-2005, 01:24 PM
rrritchey

Hi Rodders,

I forgot its a 25% plane but if you are going to use the SuperReg without the PowerExpander then I would recommend using 2-pigtails on the Deans plug that will plug into the SuperReg to go to the receiver, if you have the spare slots. This will maximize voltage to your servos.

You can do what Duralite says but you will find that you will run down one battery pack much quicker than the other because when you tie the outputs of two regulators together they do not share current equally. One will supply the majority of the current.

Also, you can save some money on shipping by buying this from Freestyle-RC in the UK.

Please let me know if I can help more.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:55 PM
rodders

Thanks
have contacted Freestyle and am getting the unit off him.
Will contact you for the pigtails, as he does not do them.
Rodders