Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

batt share question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 01:29 PM
CAP232CM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default batt share question

Hi, this is my setup 2 swithces, 2 NiMH batterys, batt shareHD, and the power expander. My question is do I have to disconnect the batterys while charging or can I just charge through the switch with everything plugged in. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2005, 01:56 PM
rrritchey

Default RE: batt share question

Hi,
This really depends on your charger. You can definitely charge one battery at a time but trying to charge both batteries at the same time may cause you problems. Many chargers do not like to do this because there is a common ground between the two batteries. Best thing to do is try it but keep a careful eye on it the first time and make sure they really charge up, not just part way.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:38 PM
ChickenStick Rick
My Feedback: (674)

Robert,
I am going to use this same set up. I use and Litco Alpha 4 Charger. Will I be able to charge both batteries at the same time? Thanks in advance
Old 10-15-2005, 04:45 PM
rrritchey

Hi,
I really do not know, I would doubt it. It seems that more chargers than not use ground sensing to check their current flow. I do beleive I read on mini-iac that the Alpha charger was one of the ones that has a problem with this but I cannot be certain. The only way to know for sure is to call the maker of the charger. Sorry I cannot be more help but there is no way I can keep track of all the chargers and which ones have a problem with common ground.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: CAP232CM

Hi, this is my setup 2 swithces, 2 NiMH batterys, batt shareHD, and the power expander.
Can you connect the the 2 batteries directly into the expander? Is the batt share really required?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2006, 10:13 AM
rrritchey

Hi Edgar,
It depends on how you feel about battery failures. I do have a lot of people that run two batteries directly into the PowerExpander's inputs (output being used as an input). The only time this would fail you, most likely, is if you had a wiring failure resulting in a short. Loosing a single cell in a 5-cell pack will not necessarily drain the other pack, it usually has a negligible effect.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks, for the fast reply. Let me check my understanding.

- there is no disadvantage to plugging the batteries directly into the expander from the point of view of even sharing of load
- If batteries plugged directly into the expander, then a wiring/switch short will bring the system down
- if using bat share, a hardware failure in it will bring the system down.

So the personal choice depends on the relative reliability between the 'batt share' device vs wiring, right?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2006, 11:36 AM
rrritchey

Hi Edgar,
You have this basically right. One thing about the BatShare is that the circuitry for each battery is independent. On the BatShareHD the only thing that would take it down completely would be a failure of the 18ga wiring to the PowerExpander. This is unlikey.