Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Smart-Fly Regulator Recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:23 PM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart-Fly Regulator Recall

I received the email below from the vendor I ordered my regulators from... I haven't even received the things yet and they have already been recalled!!!

Will the people effected by this recall be compensated for all the hassle of sending these things back, shipping and time spent?

We have found an issue with the last batch of Regulators, RegulatorHDs, Regulator w/Failsafe Swtich and RegulatorHD w/Failsafe switch. They will not sustain a current of 5 amps, they current limit at around 3 amps. It appears that the IC distributor these ICs were purchased from received bad ICs from the manufacturer. The only way to fix the problem is to replace the IC in the regulator.

Please send these regulators back to Smart-Fly at:

Quest Engineering & Development
1345 E Cathedral Rock Drive
Phoenix, AZ 85048
(480) 460-2652

We deeply regret any inconvenience this causes but we feel we need to inform our customers of the issue. We will test the regulators when they come in and, if they are from the defective lot, replace them as soon as we can.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:21 AM
rrritchey

Default RE: Smart-Fly Regulator Recall

Hi,
We will pay for your shipping charges. We deeply regret this happened. We received parts that were marked correctly but they are not operating up to specifications. We have not had a problem with this manufacturer in 4 years and do not at this time know how this could have happened. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you. We felt it was best to let people know rather than wait and see if any problems occured.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Rex Rutledge
My Feedback: (4)

Mr. Ritchey,

I purchased an adjustable regulator back in May, but I have not put it into service other than a quick ops test when I received it. Do you know when the suspect regulators started to go out to customers?

Thanks in advance,
Rex Rutledge
Old 07-27-2006, 10:50 AM
rrritchey

Hi Rex,
You might want to send it in. You are near the time when some of these went out. We will reimburse you for shipping and turn it around in less than a day. We are very sorry this happened.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Rex Rutledge
My Feedback: (4)

No problem sir! I will send it in. Sorry that you ran into a problem with the vendor. I really like your products, and this only makes me feel better about spending my money with Quest/Smartfly.

Rex Rutledge
Old 08-06-2006, 05:06 AM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this affecting the turbo reg also?

I've gotta say.......quality act.

I'm glad I've purchased from you guys!
Old 08-06-2006, 01:23 PM
rrritchey

Hi,
This only affects the regulators with the YELLOW wrapping. The SuperReg, TurboReg and Ignition cutoffs are fine. The problem is that the 5A regulators will not do the full 5A. They will current limit at about 3A. This is actually more than you need for a lot of applications but we felt it was wise to inform people that would check and fix the units if they had any suspicions about the unit they had.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Robert,
I have 2 standard regs with yellow covering, is there any other way to tell or should i send them in just in case? Cant even remember when I got them

I finally found the invoice and it was in Sept 05.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:42 AM
rrritchey

Hi Andy,
Yours are fine. Its only for regulators that have shipped in spring of 2006 or later. If you want to send them in we will check them. Please send them first class mail or priority mail and we will reimburse you.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:43 AM
JoeRC-RCU

Robert, I have two standard regulators that have the yellow shrink wrap, and there is a Smart-Fly sticker on them that say "Revision F", should I be worried?

Thanks,

JoeRC
Old 12-18-2006, 09:26 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Robert,

I bought mine back at the IMS show in Jan 2006. Are they OK?

BTW thanks for the support, I know you are in a tough position and you are handling it well, IMHO.

Regards,

Old 12-18-2006, 09:48 AM
rrritchey

Hi Joe and Matt,
Without testing the regulators I cannot tell you if they are good or not. It was a batch of the rev F regulators that had a problem, not all the rev F regulators. If you send them in we will check them and get them right back to you. The regulators are in no danger of failing, they just will not deliver the full 5 amps they are suppose to. We will reimburse your shipping (first class or priority mail only, not Express, UPS or FedEx). I am really sorry we had this issue but we felt we should bring to peoples' attention. Please contact us and we will see how we can best support you.