Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Super Reg failure mode?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 08:13 AM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Reg failure mode?

This may be an unanswerable question, but I'll ask it anyways. I've just upgraded from a 50cc plane to a 100cc Composite airframe. Naturally, I am looking at redundancy, hence this question. I have a Super Reg and PowerExpander Sport that I've been using, and they've been perfect. However, after looking at the description of the Super Reg, I see that there is only one regulator in there, not the 2 that I thought.

So my question is, if the regulator in the Super Reg fails, does it fail off or on? Meaning, in a failure, will it pass the full voltage of the lithiums through to the servos, or will it fail with no power being passed through? I ask because the servos I'm running can support a full 2s lithium, so if it passes full current, I am safe in getting the plane down. However, if it cuts off all current, I'm thinking I'm better off going with a different regulator Like the TurboReg.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-15-2006, 09:54 AM
rrritchey

Default RE: Super Reg failure mode?

Hi,
Its really impossible to tell how a regulator will fail. It all depends on what in the regulator fails. If the MOSFET blows it will "probably" result in a short but not for sure. If some part of the controller fails it could go either way.
Getting a TurboReg would not really be any better as it is not a true dual regulator either. It has dual MOSFETs but a common controller. We are playing with true dual regulators but its really, really hard to adjust the two regulators to share current which would reduce stress on both of them as opposed to letting one do all the work. We would also like to be able to tell you if there is a failure and unless we share current we cannot tell if one or the other is bad. Its a really hard problem to solve but we are looking into it.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:47 AM
threedordie
My Feedback: (64)

I have been reading you forum and had a new plane go in and be completely destroyed to day.Not the first time but it was do to either the way the Batshare was hooked up or the regulator and not my crazy flying. The way we were told to hook it up was as follows two batteries going in to two separate switches and than the Batshare and take the one lead into the regulator and tie back the other out but back and regular into the receiver. Plane flew great and just quit like some one turn it off. When I went to the pile the regulator was hot and nothing worked . Had a new regulator plugged it in and it made everything work.The way I look at this is in one of two ways .

1 The Batshare let to much voltage go tru to the regulator and it caused it to fail witch to me only having one Regulator dose not give you any redundancy. I feel it should have been set up batteries 2 Switches 2 Regulators in to Bat share and batshare in to Receiver
I feel if the one regulator would have failed the the other would have had enough to get it down in one piece.
2. 2 Batteries in to 2 switches in to Batshare and the 2 outs in to the Regulars or the regulator you sell and in to the receiver.
I just do not see the redundancy with only on Regulator

Not blameing anyone Just want a darn good answer or be told I,m looking at this wrong
Michael Young
Old 12-17-2006, 01:56 PM
rrritchey

Hi Michael,
I am sorry you lost a plane but I don't know what to say. You hooked it up right. What kind of regulator? It does not sound like one of our regulators as ours would have had two inputs and two outputs. The BatShare does not do any regulation so I do not understand your statement number 1. We would have never told you not to run a second regulator we would have just said that one regulator would be doing all the work. If your regulator was not up to the load put on it and you had second identical regulator it would have failed right after the first reguator failed. We have had zero failures of our regulators that I know of. You really have to get a decent regulator. I bet I can tell you that you were running one of two regulators we do not feel are good ones. You have to buy quality regulators to trust them. We only recommend ourselves and Fromeco. If you can give me more information maybe I can help you some to understand this but I am not sure.