Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

power exanders

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power exanders

I am looking for a good set-up for a 40% plane.

On my 35% planes I use two RX's, batteries, and switches and just run half of the plane on each RX. This provides for good current flow to all servos.

I will be using 3 and 4 servos on some channels on my 40% plane, so 2 RX's are not providing me enough servo ports now. I don't care to use Y's in my system. They just seem to cause problems.

If I understand how your power expanders work, when using two batteries with them, they are only drawing from one battery at a time. They switch back and forth to the battery with the most voltage.

If this is the case, then isn't the system then limited in total amps by the discharge amp capabilities of one battery? I will have battery redundancy, but will not be using the power of both batteries simultaneously. I use Fromeco lithium batteries. Isn't this a problem on a 40% plane with 15 or more digital servos?

Thanks, Jim
Old 01-12-2007, 11:06 AM
rrritchey

Default RE: power exanders

Hi Jim,
I think you were mis-informed somewhere. The PowerExpanders will draw from the highest battery if they are different by a significant amount, a tenth of a volt or so. When the batteries are equal in voltage the PowerExpanders will draw from both batteries so you get the combined current capacity of both batteries.

Also, our PowerExpanders must be used with a regulator if you are running lithium batteries. We recommend our TurboReg for you application. It has a builtin BatShare so the system is protected from a bad pack but when both are good you will draw from both batteries.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

O.K., sounds good.
Sounds like the system I need.

Thanks for the reply,

Jim
Old 01-13-2007, 01:26 PM
zelayaroberto

I have a brand new DA 50. This is my first gasser. The ignition module comes with 2 wires, one that goes to the engine and the other one with Dean's connectors that goes to the switch.
I dont want to cut a regular heavy duty switch and solder Deans connectors, so,
Robert or anyone knows about a Heavy duty switch that comes with standart J connector for a NiMh battery and a Deans connector for the ignition module?
Thanks.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:25 AM
rrritchey

Hi Roberto,
I do not know of any switches that come this way. If you really do not want to cut the end off your switch then you might consider making an adapter.