Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

TurboReg is not a fully redundant regulator

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Pashka_22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TurboReg is not a fully redundant regulator

What does that mean?
Old 02-03-2007, 05:51 PM
rrritchey

Default RE: TurboReg is not a fully redundant regulator

Hi,
It means that there are two regulation transistors but a single control circuit.
Let me know if you need more explanation.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Pashka_22

Thank you very much for this quick explanation.
I have a few more questions:
1. If I run SF Ignition Cutoff switch, do I have to have switch between battery and Ignition Cutoff switch receiver unit?
2. You mention in previous posts that Power Expander can be run with 2 LiIon batteries, but without regulator. Will it be too much voltage for servos? And does Power Expander have bat share functionality build in?
Old 02-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Pashka_22

Oh and one more:
If one of the regulation transistors will fail on TurboReg, is there indication of it? How I would know, after the flight, that SmartFly just saved my airplane?
Old 02-04-2007, 12:38 PM
rrritchey

Hi,
Let me try to answer your questions.
1) It all depends on how you want to setup your system and how you maintain your system. I do not run a switch between the battery and the Ignition Cutoff but I have to unplug the battery from the Cutoff at the end of the day or it would ruin my battery if I left it connected too long. Some people do not like the inconvenience of disconnecting the battery and want a charge port in a switch so they run a DSC switch.
2) The PowerExpander can be run with Lithiums directly but the only servos I know of that can handle this are Hitec 5995s. If you are not running these then you need to a regulator in front of the PowerExpander. The PowerExpander does have the equivalent of a BatShare built in but it has a much lower voltage drop across it than the BatShare does.
3) There is no way to tell how a transistor will fail. If someone tells you there is they are mistaken. It can fail as a short or an open. They is now way to predict.
Let me know if you have any more questions.