Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

The Super-Reg is enough to my setup??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:40 AM
juvaknin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Super-Reg is enough to my setup??

Hey guys,
i have the Smart-Fly Super reg (not Turbo)..
i'm using 5 servos Hitec-5955 titaium gear + Digital servo for engine, receiver...........
i will use Li-Ion 2-cell 2600mA (2 batterys into the regulator)
my question is, This Super-Reg is enough?? or you this i should replace it to the Turbo Regulator??
(it's for my SD-Model Yak-30% - DA-50 engine)
Old 02-21-2007, 09:42 AM
rrritchey

Default RE: The Super-Reg is enough to my setup??

Hi,
The SuperReg is more than enough for your application. You have to consider the weight of the plane along with how many servos. The heavier a plane the more work the servos have to do. The SuperReg would work just fine in planes up to 30-35lbs. We only recommend going to the TurboReg when you have a plane that is more than 35lbs and 150cc and up. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:17 PM
juvaknin

Thanks rrritchey,
if i want anyway the Turbo-Reg.. there is no problems right? (i have money to spend on it)
i just want it because it's have 2 Regulators built-in... and not one like the Super-Reg..
i don't must use PowerBox or something if i'll going to use the Turbo-Reg in this Setup as i wrote... right?

ORIGINAL: rrritchey

Hi,
The SuperReg is more than enough for your application. You have to consider the weight of the plane along with how many servos. The heavier a plane the more work the servos have to do. The SuperReg would work just fine in planes up to 30-35lbs. We only recommend going to the TurboReg when you have a plane that is more than 35lbs and 150cc and up. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:26 PM
rrritchey

Hi,
I think you are under a slight misconception about the TurboReg. It is not a dual-redundant regulator. It has two transistors to regulate the voltage but the transistors are controlled by a common control circuit. There is really not much electrical difference between the TurboReg and the SuperReg except for the fan on the TurboReg. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:38 PM
juvaknin

yes i know... but this transistor working with the High Amps.. so if i'll get the turbo-Reg there is a way to called it "more Safe"... no?
and also, didn't got answer.. the Turbo-Reg, can and will work alone? (without the PowerBox / expender..etc)?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:12 PM
rrritchey

Hi,
The dual transistors are in there to handle the higher current and keep the current through each transistor lower so they do less work individually. The dual transistors do reduce the stress on each compared to if we had used a single transistor that can handle that current. The TurboReg can work alone but without a PowerExpander, going straight into the receiver, you will not get the same benefit. There will be a large drop in voltage between the TurboReg and the receiver because of connector and wiring resistance resulting in a significant reduction in servo power over using a PowerExpander. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:23 PM
juvaknin

ORIGINAL: rrritchey
The TurboReg can work alone but without a PowerExpander, going straight into the receiver, you will not get the same benefit. There will be a large drop in voltage between the TurboReg and the receiver because of connector and wiring resistance resulting in a significant reduction in servo power over using a PowerExpander. Let me know if you have any other questions.
large drop in voltage? it's only 30% airplane.. almost no one using Power Expander on this size...
you meen large drop in voltage even if i'm using the Super-Reg right?
it's not because of using the TurboReg insted the SuperRec..
Old 02-21-2007, 11:52 PM
juvaknin

Let's make everything clear.. i'll write few questions and by your answers i'll decide if i'll get the Turbo-Reg..

1. the Super Reg, can handle 5 servos 5955-Digital Hitec + digital engine servo?

2. the transistors on the Turbo-Reg.. they are "sharing" the work.. but if one transistor is burnt out, the Second transistor will work alone ??

3. there is any "disadvantage" except of money$$ if i'll use the Turbo-Reg on my 30%-Yak instead of the Super-Reg?? (using without any power-expander or power-box).

4. about the Large drop Voltage you said before.. this drop voltage will be also with the Super-Reg right? it's not because of using the Turbo-Reg alone.. right? (but most of the 30% airplanes, almost no one using PowerExpander or PowerBox).. so it's Critical what you saying here?????

Thanks again for your time..... waiting for your answers..
Old 02-22-2007, 09:27 AM
rrritchey

Hi,
OK, sorry if I was confusing you.
1) Yes, the SuperReg can easily handle this.
2) On the TurboReg the transistors share the work. You cannot predict though if a transistor failure will result in an open, like a fuse, or a short.
3) The only other disadvantage is weight. The TurboReg is slightly heavier than the SuperReg.
4) Yes, the voltage drop will happen with a SuperReg or a TurboReg. I forgot we were talking about a 30%, 50cc plane. You should be fine.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:48 AM
juvaknin

Many manyyy Thanks!
i'll got for the Turbo-Reg anyway.. Thanks for your Great service!!

Yuval.