Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Power Expander + Vibration=???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 04:00 PM
cje0114
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Expander + Vibration=???

Hi

I just ran my first tank of gas through my new 50cc Extra that is equipped with a power expander sport.

I noticed that the Rx is vibrating like crazy when I bring the throttle up. Is that ok? I was brought up to always wrap my Rx in foam so it wouldn't get damaged from vibration. It just seems that the little grommets on the PE aren't cutting it to dampen the vibration.

Is there anything I can do? I'd hate to loose a $2000 airplane to this.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 03-18-2007, 04:15 PM
rrritchey

Default RE: Power Expander + Vibration=???

Hi Chris,
Wrapping a receiver in foam does little to actually reduce the vibration that the receiver sees. The receiver does not have enough mass to overcome the foam's stiffness to stay stationary inside the foam. If you are really worried about
this you can suspend the PowerExpander using bungie cords. A few people have done this. Almost all just mount the PowerExpander using the grommets.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Bobby Folsom

I have a PowerExpander with the SuperRegulator. I glued pieces of 3/8" square bass wood to the wood in the plane then mounted the regulator and PowerExpander using no. 2 allen head servo screws through the grommets. I followed the included instructions and used small strips of the included super strong velcro to mount the receiver to the PowerExpander.

After 3 15-minute flights, both batteries were right on the same loaded voltage after each flight. The setup performed flawlessly just like Bob said it would. I may order the same setup for my other plane!!

Bobby
Old 03-29-2007, 12:31 PM
rrritchey

Hi Bobby,
Thanks for the feedback. This system has worked very well for us for the last 2-1/2 years.