Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

SmartFly quality question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:42 AM
andy86na
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SmartFly quality question

Just got their adjustable Turboreg and power expander through TBM. Did some bench testing and discovered that the regulator had NO OUTPUT.

Cut off the plastic cover on the bottom (yeah, I know I voided the warranty an everything but I was really pissed off )and was astonished to find out that neither of the 2 Deans female plugs was actually soldered to the circuitboard (!!!). Fixed it--everything SEEMS to work now.

Did a VERY close inspection--all other joints appear OK. However, this obvious--and potentially FATAL ASSEMLY BLUNDER raised general quality questions. Is this an isolated incident or occurs quite often? Anyone else encountered such quality issues with SmartFly stuff?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2007, 11:07 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SmartFly quality question

I would contact them anyway. They have a pretty good CS reputation. I've had to use it once when the badger switch i had was in an always on mode that I had just bought and it was replaced no questions asked. This was about 1.5 yrs ago, give or take a month or two
Old 07-17-2007, 11:09 AM
asimace

Well, thats scary! I just got a PowerExpander and a SuperReg through TBM for a jet, and I haven't checked them yet!
After reading your post I'll open the plastic cover and void the warranty too!
Why don't you submit your post to the SmartFly Support Forum: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_328/tt.htm
Thanks for your heads up, Mauri
Old 07-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd say that is the real rare exception to the rule, but there can be problems with almost anyone's equipment.

As for CS, I don't think you'll find any company with better support than Smart-Fly. Post a note over on their support forum and you'll usually get a response from Bob within a few hours.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 AM
andy86na
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks guys. Encouraging to see that this issue is likely an exception. I heard a lot of good things about Smart-Fly, which is why I bouth the product in the first place. Everything else seems to be top notch quality and everything works well on the bench.

Hope this was a fluke! I will still post if one the Smart-Fly support forum as you suggest in a couple of days.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:11 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: andy86na

I will still post if one the Smart-Fly support forum as you suggest in a couple of days.

I'll just move this thread over there for you...