Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Spektrum problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 08:58 PM
ATCDave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum problem.

Hello Robert,

I have a bit of a problem. I maidened my 30% Yak 54 on thursday, and on the fourth or fifth flight had what I would describe as a control lockout. The control surfaces on the aircraft neutralized for a second or two and then returned to normal. This happened three times on the final flight - twice in the air and once during landing roll out. After contacting Horizon (maker of the Spektum radio) and posting a question on some message boards, many folks who know more about the Spektrum radio than I say that what I experienced was not a signal lock-out but a power failure at the Rx (a reboot). I am running redundant Fromeco 2600 mAh Relions through 2 SuperSwitches into a SuperReg then into the Power Expander. The batts both had sufficient voltage after 5 flights to be well above Fromeco's no-fly point (both had around 7.8 volts after 5 flights). I wonder whether I may be experiencing an intermittant problem with the SuperReg or Power Expander. I really have no way of testing either one. Would it be possible for me to uninstall both units and send them to you for a check?

I would hate to pile up a $2000 airplane by not being careful about this and not tracing every component for possible problems. Of course it could just be the Spektrum AR7000 Rx itself, so I plan to have it checked and replaced if need be.

I bought all the equipment from you back in Feb and this was the first time the equipment had been flown.

Here are some particulars:

Plane specs:
30% Yak 54 (SD Models)
DA50 power
3 Fromeco 2600 mAh Li Ion batts (1 for ignition, 2 for rx and servos)
3 SuperSwitches
SmartFly SuperReg regulator set for 6 volts
Rx running through a SmartFly Power Expander
HiTec 5955TG digital servos (standard size digital on throttle)
AR7000 mounted exactly as shown in instructions at 90 degrees and 5 inches apart.
Fuel tank mounted under radio gear in the cannister tunnel. (i.e. Tx had a clear shot to both Rx's while ac was inverted and while a/c was rolling out pointed away from me)

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,

David Killmer

Old 04-29-2007, 12:47 PM
rrritchey

Default RE: Spektrum problem.

Hi David,
You an send them back and we will test them. We have not had any failures of either of these but that is not saying it could not happen.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:29 PM
ATCDave

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply. After taking everything apart in the airplane and inspecting everything then hooking everything up again loosely and prodding and poking and shaking, nothing seemed amiss or intermittant with any of the electrical components. I have been in contact with many other Spektrum owners on various web sites, and it appears that the Spektrum recievers in some applications are very sensitive as to where in the airplane they are located. I was not careful initially keeping power or ignition wires or harnesses away from the Power Expander and rx's (thinking that they are impervious to RF interference). I carefully relocated the P E and rx's and carefully rerouted all the harnesses and wiring making sure things are separated and locked down. I will do a series of ground and taxi tests and if things look good I am going to try flying again. If things are still intermittant, I will send them back to you for a look-see. I'll let you know.

Thanks for your great products.

Best,

David Killmer
Old 04-30-2007, 02:41 PM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may not be your problem..but it hs happened twice at our field...
The battery connection (horizontal plug) on the DX-7 failed to work when a battery was first plugged into that port. We unplugged and plugged into the aux 2 plug and the receiver immediately turn on. We then re-plugged into that bottom connector and it worked..but.....
While setting up another plane at my house on my 2.3m composite arf...completely different receiver/setup...I experienced the same thing..I even wiggled the battery lead and it did come on..but that worried me..as it seems that port is "flakey" now twice on 2 separate receivers. My temporary solution is to not only use that BATTERY port, but also plug my redundant battery into a y-cord
leading to my choke servo..(as an extra source of power to receiver).

Bobzilla
Old 04-30-2007, 10:16 PM
ATCDave

Hi BobZ,

Thanks for the heads up. During my inspection of the rx today I did notce that the horizontal (batt) plug seemed loose. The thing is though I am using the two channels on the end of the Power Expander (“Chan A” and “Chan H”) that have power connections to the receiver in addition to the signal connections. This fact along with the fact that I am using redundant batts and switches through a SuperReg into the Power Expander seems to make a power interuption unlikely. I dunno. I carefully rewired everything, and now the P E and the AR7000 Rx is out and away from all other power, ignition, and servo cords (except where it attaches to the P E) I will range check, ground test engine off/on, do a thorough series of taxi tests and try it again.

P.S. I've been following your posts over on the re: TOC1 Yak thread for about a year. That thread was the inspiration to buy the (now SD Models) Yak 54 in which I am having these Spektrum issues.

P.P.S. Good pics on the Cirkus Throwdown in LV too :-)

Best,

Dave
Old 05-01-2007, 01:12 AM
bobzilla

thanks for kind words Dave and the Throwdown as far the best thing happening in Vegas this year. I am running dx-7 on both my 30 and 33% AM yaks..and other than the problem i just mentioned in last post..I've been incident free. I really do fell alot more comfortable flying with dx..hoping and knowing no shoot down can occur..but like anything electronic..the simplest of things can mess up..I simplified my set up..because my 5955 servos were pulling way too much amps thru my powerbox and li-ions. I opted
for a nice simple set up of dual 3200 (hangtime hobby) Nimh...2 switches (jr) and drop into rx with one and y-cord on choke on other. It is a pretty easy redundant system and the simplest I can think of.

I have some spare parts to my old 30% if you lookin for anything..like wing, cowling, fixable hatch..

bobzilla
Old 05-02-2007, 09:21 AM
ATCDave

Hi BobZ,

Would it be bad luck to buy spare parts at this point?? lol.

I went with the DX-7 for the same reason; why invest a couple grand in a ship with redundant this and that when some clown can swith on and drill it? The frequency control at my field could be called, ahhhhh, lax. True story: a busy fall day last year with guys I had never seen before coming out of the wood work - a regular fires up his sweet Waco bipe, starts to taxi out, and the control surfaces go nuts. He shuts off and yells out ANYBODY ON CHANNEL 24? (he's got the freq pin). One of the never-seen-befores pipes up OH I AM. I TOOK THE CHANNEL 42 PIN BY MISTAKE HA HA............ YIKES! That experience pretty much cemented my decision on a new DX-7 rig.

It's a little disappointing though to see some of the Spektrum horror stories out there. I haven't re-maidened my Yak since I rewired on Saturday, so the jury is still out with me. Glad to hear you are now trouble free with your Spektrum setup.

Best,

Dave
Old 08-05-2007, 05:53 PM
vanguard
My Feedback: (25)

The more you investigate what people call "Spektrum Issues", you find that most are not radio issues at all. You will also notice negative comments from people who don't even own the Spektrum system. As with so many things on any forum, take what you read with a grain of salt and really investigate the issue. Going to the manufacturer is the best way to start.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:40 PM
bobzilla

Here's a real kicker! The great success of spectrum in keeping the planes flying is hurting our local shop...he says he has lost considerable sales of new arf's and replacemant parts, enough that he is seriously considering getting out of the market. This I am sure is country wide, so you can be sure supply and demand will drive the price up on arf's in future.

bobz