Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Power Expander or Equalizers

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Greg Cothern
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Expander or Equalizers

I have a question when using master and slave mixing for split elevator halves and ailerons. I am having a time trying to get equal throws, I use Hitec digitals and have a programmer. However even using a protractor and such I am experiencing what only I can say is "mixing blues"! I just cant get equal end points and speeds, and I have tried programming 4 or 5 times. It must be the mix lag syndrome!
I know the equalizers are designed to take care of this problem, however my specific question would be this; with the multiple outputs on the same channel on a power expander will this help me to eliminate the mixes and gain equal throws as I would with the equalizer?
I would like the benefit of the power expander as well, especially with the cost being only 25% more roughly.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:37 AM
rrritchey

Default RE: Power Expander or Equalizers

Hi Greg,
Using the Hitec programmer can be frustrating. The multiple outputs on the PowerExpander do not help with this, except for the PowerExpander Eq10, they are just like a "Y" logically. The PowerExpander Eq10 has Equalizers built into all the channels so you can adjust all the servos to match. That said, using a PowerExpander Sport or Pro, you can run one elevator half straight into the PowerExpander and run the other half through one port on an Equalizer II. You would set your centering and throws on your transmitter for the half connected directly and then use the Equalizer II to match the other half. This gives each servo its own current path which reduces voltage drop and gives you more torque out of your servos. Please let me know if I did not answer your question fully or you have other questions.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:36 AM
balsafire
My Feedback: (4)

I just came across this thread. I am "challenged" at best when it comes to the electronic aspect of this hobby. I am just starting to get into larger models(25-27%). Like the original post, I am having a devil of a time with the dual elevator set up on my 80" Extra. My servo's are not digital but are high torque. I have the Spektrum dx-7 system with the "stock" servos on elevators and aeilerons. I have followed the set up for dual elevators to the letter but no matter what I try the end points are different, although close but the speed is WAY different. I am thinking of trying an equalizer but would like some input before I start throwing stuff at it in an ignorant attempt to fix a problem I don't fully understand. I am using a 6v, 2000 mil nimh pack through a Cermark hd switch. I also like the idea of redundancy with an expander/regulator but don't really have the knowledge of how to set up a system like this or even which components to use. I don't mean which brand, just which type.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Rod
Old 05-28-2007, 09:39 AM
rrritchey

Hi Rod,
I think and Equalizer II would be a good solution to your problem. It would allow you to run both servos off your elevator channel without splitting it. You can adjust the center and two end points of both servos independently. This would get you the same speed and endpoints. The Equalizer does not allow speed control but if you are running off just the elevator channel the speeds should match.

As far as the PowerExpander, from all that I have read it may be a good investment when running the Spektrum receivers. In July sometime we will have a new PowerExpander out for 40cc-100c planes for use with NiCd/NiMH. It will take two batteries in, work with an optional failsafe switch and includes an Ignition Cutoff which we highly recommend for gas engines.

Please let me know any other questions you have.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Greg Cothern
My Feedback: (8)

AHHH HAAAAH I found a solution for my elevator latency!!! I installed a Power Expander (H9 33% Cap) it needed the extra power anyway! Since the PE has multiple outputs on the same channel, I simply used my Hitec programmer to program the second servo in reverse direction and voila! I now have equally travelling and speed matched servo's! Thereby eliminating the chain of command that was creating the latency!

Guess this means I will have to buy 2 of the 8ch Power Expanders! Cheaper and better than spending $1000 for a 12 channel servo grouping TX LoL. Just awesome Mr. Ritchie! Thanks so much for designing this gem!