Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

i'm a little confused

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:55 AM
rrritchey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: i'm a little confused

Hi,
Normally a regulator is not run with A123s so you can consider the PowerExpander Sport Plus instead of the PowerSystem.
Otherwise the setup is fine. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:38 PM
mihelone

Dear Robert good evening.
I have bought 2 SuperRegs from you. One is placed on a top flite P-51 GS and works great.
I put the other one in a 30 cc sukhoi and here is the problem.
When I disconnect one of the two batteries the system stops working. I have swaped the batteries but it made no difference. It is always the same connection which means that every time I disconnect the right battery there is no current to the receiver. Any ideas on this?
Thank you in advance,
Demosthenis
Old 03-24-2010, 12:43 PM
rrritchey

Hi,
Yes, I replied to your e-mail you sent to [email protected]. We will cross ship.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:17 PM
ZXPilot

Hello Mr. Ritchey,

I am installing my first PowerSystem (Competition 12 with Ignition Cutoff). Is it normal for the servo power to remain active although the Fail-Safe Pin Switch pin is inserted? When I insert the switch pin the receiver shuts off but the servos still have power applied to them. This operation is different from my Power Expander + SuperReg setups where the servo power is shut-off along with the receiver once the pin is inserted. Your units are pretty straight forward so I am pretty sure I have something configured incorrectly and just don't yet see it.

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 AM
rrritchey

Hi Anthony,
No, the failsafe switch should shut off both receiver and servo power. I would have to look at the unit to see if there is something wrong.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:12 AM
ZXPilot

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I'll send the unit along with the fail-safe switch to you today.

Best regards,
Anthony
Old 12-28-2010, 08:20 AM
rrritchey

Sorry for the inconvenience. I will check this out and return it ASAP.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:42 PM
ZXPilot

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the great service you provided in respect to my Competition 12 Power System. I received the unit back from you this evening (which is impressive to me). I already installed the unit into my 33% YAK and it is working great. I will be able to maiden the Yak this weekend. I also want to thank you for making these units available to us. All my 30% and above aircraft have your units in them and the performance is superb.

Take care,
Anthony
Old 01-07-2011, 07:29 AM
rrritchey

Hi Anthony,
Thanks for taking the time to post. Let me know if you have any other questions and thanks for your support.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:55 PM
sparkx38

Hi I am building my first gasser. a aero works pitts python with a DA 60 and will be using 7 HS-7985MG and a HS-5485HB on the throttle with two A123 batteries. I am considering the Power System Sport Plus system. Any reason I shouldn't I shouldn't use this set up or is there a better route to go? Let me know.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:33 AM
rrritchey

ORIGINAL: sparkx38

Hi I am building my first gasser. a aero works pitts python with a DA 60 and will be using 7 HS-7985MG and a HS-5485HB on the throttle with two A123 batteries. I am considering the Power System Sport Plus system. Any reason I shouldn't I shouldn't use this set up or is there a better route to go? Let me know.
You could choose either a PowerExpander Sport Plus (unregulated servos) or the PowerSystem Sport Plus (regulated servos) for this size plane. Both were designed specifically for this size plane. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:02 AM
sparkx38

ORIGINAL: rrritchey

You could choose either a PowerExpander Sport Plus (unregulated servos) or the PowerSystem Sport Plus (regulated servos) for this size plane. Both were designed specifically for this size plane. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks for the super quick reply Robert. I am guessing regulated would be better or is that over kill? I have been speaking with Rob (Bossier Rob) Maxell about my build and Jeremy Holt (One of your reps) is also a member in our club, if I can ever catch up with him at the field I may pick his brain as well. Will let you know what I decide on. Thanks again for the super fast response.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:11 AM
rrritchey

Thanks for the super quick reply Robert. I am guessing regulated would be better or is that over kill? I have been speaking with Rob (Bossier Rob) Maxell about my build and Jeremy Holt (One of your reps) is also a member in our club, if I can ever catch up with him at the field I may pick his brain as well. Will let you know what I decide on. Thanks again for the super fast response.
Hi, generally you get more consistent flying with regulated. The servo voltage does not change with battery voltage so your flight to flight experience is more consistent. With A123s there is somewhat less change because the A123s will come down from 7.2V to 6.6V after about a flight and then you will stay at 6.6V until the batteries run out. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 PM
sparkx38

Hi, generally you get more consistent flying with regulated. The servo voltage does not change with battery voltage so your flight to flight experience is more consistent. With A123s there is somewhat less change because the A123s will come down from 7.2V to 6.6V after about a flight and then you will stay at 6.6V until the batteries run out. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Can you use the powerexpander with the A123 batteries? The instruction manuel says to use 5 cell NiCd/NiMH packs? If you can use the A123 how well will the HS-7985MG servos work? Hitech rates them at 6 volt Max. If I understood your last post with the A123 batteries you will still get a fairly consistant flight to flight expierence do its lack to drastically drop voltage until the batteries run out. Also using the two batteries what would your reccomended battery size be for this set up? It is to my understanding I should use a seperate battery for the ignition. 1100mah A123 work ok? Let me know.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:26 AM
rrritchey

Can you use the powerexpander with the A123 batteries? The instruction manuel says to use 5 cell NiCd/NiMH packs? If you can use the A123 how well will the HS-7985MG servos work? Hitech rates them at 6 volt Max. If I understood your last post with the A123 batteries you will still get a fairly consistant flight to flight expierence do its lack to drastically drop voltage until the batteries run out. Also using the two batteries what would your reccomended battery size be for this set up? It is to my understanding I should use a seperate battery for the ignition. 1100mah A123 work ok? Let me know.
Hi,
Yes, I need to update the documentation. All our units can take up to 8.5V in, unregulated or regulated. On PowerExpanders you will get very nearly the battery voltage (minus a few tenths of a volt for the BatShare). You need to determine compatibility between the batteries, output voltage and your servos. The battery size really depends on how long you want to fly. Its hard for me to give you recommendation as this depends on plane weight, servo types, flying style and other factors. We ALWAYS recommend a separate battery for the ignition for safety and the fact your plane is worth more than an ignition battery (at least mine is). 1100mAH should be fine for about 50-60min on a single cylinder.