Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Am I safe??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:17 PM
cje0114
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I safe??

Hi.

I just finished up a new 30% Yak, and have put about 10 flights on this past weekend. I just keep thinking if my battery and regulator setup is ok with the servos that I'm using.

Here's what I have:

1 Hitec 5955 on the rudder
4 Hitec 5985's for the ailerons and elevators(1 on each aileron and 1 on each elevator half)
1 625 on the throttle.

For power I am using the Smart Fly adjustable regulator along with your HD Switch and a Fromeco 2400 2 cell battery.

The reg is set to 6 volts, and I can oly use one of the two connectrs from the switch going in to the Rx. Every other cannel is used up on my 8 channel Rx, so I have no choice.

So far I haven't had any problems, but I wonder if these servos are going to be too much for the regulator.

So, the question is if I'll be safe in the long run with this setup, or if I should keep the plane grounded until I can get something better in there like a super reg and power expander.

Also factor in that I fly the plane pretty hard.

Thanks,

Chris

P.S.

If this regulator did happen to fail due to too high of a load, would it shut down completely in the air, or is it the type that will continue to work until I shut off the switch after landing?

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:36 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Am I safe??

ORIGINAL: cje0114

The reg is set to 6 volts, and I can oly use one of the two connectrs from the switch going in to the Rx. Every other cannel is used up on my 8 channel Rx, so I have no choice.

Can you put a "Y" on a channel and put the other lead into the Y along with a servo? Throttle servo or something like that?
Old 10-08-2007, 09:40 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

You should be fine...I fly with a 3000mah lipo.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:07 AM
rrritchey

Hi Chris,
If you can get a small "Y" (3") and use that to plug the other regulator connector in to the rudder or throttle channel it will help. The regulator can take this easily.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:15 PM
cje0114

Thanks! So you're saying that I shouldn't have any reason to worry with my setup, Right?

I'll hook up a small "Y" connector this week. That won't cause any problems with the servo that it's hooked up with, right?

You know, better yet, I'm going to order an equalizer for my elevator halves. This way, I'll free up a channel on my Rx for the other wire from the regulator. That should be a better deal.

Chris
Old 10-09-2007, 06:30 PM
rrritchey

Hi Chris,
An Equalizer on the elevator is a good idea to free up the extra input. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:57 PM
cje0114

Thanks Robert.

I just have one more question if I may. If I wanted to try the "Y" connector, could it be larger than the 3" like you mentioned? I have a bunch of connectors that are a total of 12" that I can spare. I was thinking of maybe using one of them for now until I can free up some funds for the equalizer(Bills first & hobby stuff second, ya know). Would that be ok, or will the extra length of the connector effect the performance of the regulator in a bad way?

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:09 AM
rrritchey

Hi Chris,
The 12" would be better than nothing. If you use this length you might want to consider putting it on rudder as that servo will demand a lot of current and the "Y" will provide extra power to the servo when it needs it without going through a lot of connectors since it is on the same "Y" as the other regulator output.