Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Power Expander usage with Gyro

I think this is a simple question; I hope that I do not ask it in a confusing manner. This question is regarding using a Power Expander Pro and a Gyro for Giant Scale fixed wing aircraft control surface management. Specifically, imagine that you have a control surface that is moved using three ganged Hitec HS-5955's. The point here is that there is more than one servo, and each servo could use a lot of electrical power.

So, I don't think that I would want to plug the front of the Gyro into the Power Expander's output port, and the three Hitec HS-5955's into the back of the Gyro. I would think that this could cook the Gyro when the three Hitec HS-5955's demand a lot of electrical power.

Now, what I would think that you would want to do is to plug the respective channel's pigtail coming out of the Power Expander into the back of the Gyro, and the front of the Gyro into the receiver's respective channel output. This, effectively, places the Gyro between the Power Expander and the receiver. Now, I would have three Power Expander outputs that I could plug each Hitec HS-5955 into.

Two points here: (1) the Gyro itself will only experience a minimal amount of current, and (2) each output of the Power Expander would supply the power to each separate servo ensuring that each servo would get the amount of electrical power it needs (along with it respective signal).

Is this an appropriate usage of a Gyro and the Power Expander Pro? Please, let's not turn this question into "Why would you want to do this?", I am only asking if this message illustrates the appropriate wiring for the Power Expander Pro.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Power Expander usage with Gyro

Hi,
    I really have no experience with gyros but your suggested wiring makes sense. I think you should be fine doing this.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com