Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hypothetical Servo Wire Shorting Question

I need more information concerning this excerpt from the Power Expander Pro's User Guide:

All receiver channels have each servo signal output individually buffered. If a servo were to short out its signal wire, the other servos on that channel would not be affected.
    I take this to mean, in my own words, that if the signal wire on a servo shorts out to the servo wire's positive or negative power wire, then all the other servos on that same channel (same channel, but different Power Expander output port) and all the servos on any other channel's output port will continue to receiver normal battery power and normal receiver signal. In addition, the battery or batteries will not be affected (typically by attempting to deliver more electrical power). Is this correct?

Also, what if one of the servo's power lines shorts out to the other power wire (not the signal wire)? Is this managed in a similar manner?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hypothetical Servo Wire Shorting Question

Hi,
    This means that if the servo signal wire shorts the other servo signal wires on the same port will not be affected. The battery may be affected but a shorted signal wire will have a limit on the amount of extra current it could request from the battery, but I don't know exactly what that is. The power and ground leads to each servo do not have any kind of protection on them. If they short there is no way to say what will happen.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rrritchey

Hi,
    This means that if the servo signal wire shorts the other servo signal wires on the same port will not be affected. The battery may be affected but a shorted signal wire will have a limit on the amount of extra current it could request from the battery, but I don't know exactly what that is. The power and ground leads to each servo do not have any kind of protection on them. If they short there is no way to say what will happen.
    Makes no sence, signal wire of port one shorthing to another signal wire of the same port would be as if no short at all.
    Idiots ignored for free!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,
    I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I am saying if a servo signal wire on a port were to short to ground or positive then the other servo outputs on that port would not be affected.
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com