Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

PowerExpander 14MZ questions

There have some reports of problems with the Futaba FASST RX's and some non-Futaba servos because of the 2.7V output signal level of the FASST RX's. I bought a PowerExpander 14MZ for my R6014FS receiver to make sure that this is not a problem in my jets that use all JR digital servos. I have used a PowerExpander Sport with the 7-channel FASST RX in a jet with all JR digital servos and it has worked out fine, so I'm assuming that the PowerExpander 14MZ will work with the R6014FS. Has that worked OK for those who have tried it?

My second question involves powering the PowerExpander 14MZ. I know that it has two power inputs and will select between them based on input voltage giving you a redundant power supply. However, I am currently running a single Fromeco regulator with a 5-cell NiCD pack in the jet I want to put this combo into and I'm completely satisfied with that combination and don't want to add another battery pack and regulator. I'd also rather not have to go out and buy and install a SuperReg or Turboreg at this time - too much expense and weight, but also I'm not comfortable changing that many variables at one time.

How can I power the PowerExpander 14MZ from a single source? On the PowerExpander Sport, I simply "y'ed" the power lead and plugged it into both sides - but this doesn't have the input switching capability...

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: PowerExpander 14MZ questions

Bob,

Smart Fly is moving to its new office today through Wednesday.
    It's a disease, uhhhhh!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, I did see that on the website. I figured I'd post here and they'd get to it when they get a chance. I'm hoping to figure out how to setup the 14MZ unit in my Eurosport before I leave for Fl. Jets next Tuesday...

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We have used the 6014 rx with the EQ 6 power system with no problem. 2.7volt on the signal line is not a problem for any of the power expanders. The 6014rx that is running on the EQ 6 would only work with the Power box Competition on channel 1 and 2 (which has a higher signal voltage).

The 14mz has a different type of Batshare built in, it isn't just a diode inline like the Batshare. It has less of a voltage drop then the diode. I am not sure if there is a problem splitting the regulator output to go into both inputs of the 14mz PE. I will talk to Bob tomorrow and find out for you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I spoke with Bob today. Running a split lead to both inputs off of one regulator will work perfect.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: quist

I spoke with Bob today. Running a split lead to both inputs off of one regulator will work perfect.

Thank you very much for getting an answer to this question, I appreciate it. Off to install the PowerExpander and RX into the Euro...

Bob