Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Plastic screws of Ignition Kill Switch Rx Have Come Loose

Hi there,

I use the Smartfly Ignition Kill switch on my gas plane and the other day I noticed that the plastic screw that keeps the fiber feeder on the ignition Tx board came loose. I tried to screw it with no result, it was rotating freely, however the fiber feeder was solid on the board. What I did was to put a drop of cyano glue so that it does not move at all.

Is that common with these plastic screws really? I suppose that the Rx screw has the same issue. Should I worry about it? The Tx feeder at least looks pretty solid and the switch works ok.

Please provide your suggestion about the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Nikos
    Please check my blog:
    http://nikolas-3djunk.blogspot.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Plastic screws of Ignition Kill Switch Rx Have Come Loose

Hi Nikos,
    No this is not common. We glue the nut on the screw inside. Is it just loose or did it come out? If it is just a little loose I would not worry. If it came all the way out then I should send you a replacement. Please let me know.
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi there,

Unfortunatelly it is loose and I can not screw it, seems that does not have any contact with the nut any more. I can not see as there is the plastic cover with the SmartFly Logo at the back.

As I said the feeder looks solid and the switch works fine, but I would not rather to risk my plane.

What should we do you think? I just found a retailer of yours in Europe http://www.braeckman.de/.

Would it be possible please to send this Tx Part via this shop in order to speed up the process?

I have to check the Rx also, it is inside the cowl and currently I do not have any visual contact. I will check tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,

Nikos

Please check my blog:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Nikos,
    It sounds like it is just loose and it did not come out. It is safe if it is just loose. I guess I am not understanding how loose it is. If you cannot move the fiber-optic transmitter part then its fine. With a nut on the inside and glued to the bolt it will not continue to loosen, just like you cannot tighten it.
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Robert,

If it is just fine, what is the purpose of the plastic screw? The screw came loosen from vibration, it was not from the first place. No I try to fasten it but rotates freely and can not be moved out. That's strange...

I just checked the Rx part and is fine, only the Tx has issues.

Is it ok to move the plastic cover to check the nut from inside?

Thanks again,

Nikos
    Please check my blog:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,
    My point is this, there is a nut on the back side that is superglued to the bolt. If the bolt is just slightly loose and rotates I would expect this, as nothing holds the nut in place but it will not unscrew off the bolt since it is superglued. If you want you can remove the back. I am not trying to be difficult but I need to understand the severity of the problem. If the bolt had come complete out then I would worry. If it can just rotate then I don't think there is a problem, it will not become any looser as you have verified trying to unscrew or screw it.
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the asnwer it is clear. I wonder if it rotates freely, (I can see this when the engine is on due to vibration) how can it hold the feeder so tight? Do you believe that at some point the feeder might become loose as well?

Thanks,
    Nikos
    Please check my blog:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Nikos,
    The fiber-optic transmitter plastic does not have to be really tight, the screw and nut just prevent it from lifting off the infrared LED. I really don't think it will come all the way off. Keep an eye on it and let me know if it gets any looser.
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com