Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Smart-Fly EQ6 Switch question???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:37 AM
charrua
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart-Fly EQ6 Switch question???

I got a EQ6 installed on my plane yesterday and I'm wondering if I can just use 1 singe switch to turn the unit off???

I was reading on the maual and you can install an optional Fail-safe switch to the FS input on the unit,,,will that let me just use only 1 switch or do I still need 2 switches beatween each battery???

Can just the pinflag switch work as a switch once installed there???

see picture...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93434.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	911189  
Old 03-23-2008, 01:54 PM
rrritchey

Default RE: Smart-Fly EQ6 Switch question???

Hi,
A single Pin&Flag switch turns both batteries on/off. The only downside to a failsafe switch is that it draws a very small current in the OFF position, about 5mAH per day per pack. Most people do not find this a problem. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:32 PM
charrua

ok I think it's not a big deal becasue I always umplug the batteries after each day of flying but all I need to turn the 2 batteries of and I was wondering if I needed 2 switches in the 2 batteries or that slot for the FS switch will just work ,,I do have a ping blag switch with the Futaba end on it but I was afraid to insert it and it ould shorth something out ,,so I dont need anything but the pin flag thing right???

Could you point me to some pictures or maybe post a link to what is what I need I want to make realy sure before Iburn somehting out!!!

thank you for your prompt reply!!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 09:27 AM
rrritchey

Hi,
If the Pin&Flag switch is not ours then don't use it. Here is a link to the PowerExpander page, http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Expander/expander.htm. Look at the picture UNDER the PowerExpander Pro picture. This is our Pin&Flag Failsafe Switch and Charge Package. You only need one to turn on/off both batteries and it plugs into the "Sw" input. Let me know if you have more questions.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:18 AM
charrua

ORIGINAL: rrritchey

Hi,
If the Pin&Flag switch is not ours then don't use it. Here is a link to the PowerExpander page, http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Expander/expander.htm. Look at the picture UNDER the PowerExpander Pro picture. This is our Pin&Flag Failsafe Switch and Charge Package. You only need one to turn on/off both batteries and it plugs into the "Sw" input. Let me know if you have more questions.

oh I see,,thanks I was mentioning about the switch I had it's one of the Fromeco's ping flag switches and by looking at your pictures it almos looks the same only thing is you switch had the 3 wires conected when the Fromeco has only 2 wires,,sothat wont work ehh???
I just didnt want to order another switch if the one I had worked but I wont use it if it doesnt and dont want to test it out to find out it wont work!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:57 AM
rrritchey

The Fromeco switch uses different wires to activate the device. It would not hurt to plug it on but it will not work.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:17 PM
charrua

ORIGINAL: rrritchey

The Fromeco switch uses different wires to activate the device. It would not hurt to plug it on but it will not work.

Ok thank you very much for your info!!!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 09:29 PM
jimmyjoe
My Feedback: (21)

Robert,
Thanks for your involvement in the forum. I have Fromeco pin/flag Badger switches with your EQ6. Will they work? Sorry I am a little confused.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-02-2008, 05:04 AM
charrua

hey Jim I endede up getting his Ping flag switch and it works great so just 1 switch will turn the batts off.

I think in your case it will work but you will have to have a deans connector on the switches so you juts plug it to the EQ6,, you will have the switches beatween the batteries like on any other plane
Old 04-02-2008, 10:08 AM
rrritchey

ORIGINAL: jimmyjoe
Robert,
Thanks for your involvement in the forum. I have Fromeco pin/flag Badger switches with your EQ6. Will they work? Sorry I am a little confused.
Thanks,
Jim
Hi Jim,
No, the Fromeco switches will not work. We short different wires, I short the signal wire, they short the power wire.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:47 AM
smb

The more I read the more confused I am...
I have just purchased an EQ6 and after reading all the documentation packed with the unit and all the above Q and A I'm still not sure how I turn the unit on/ off. My EQ6 is sited under the canopy of a Fiberclassic Mustang and pretty unaccessable after canopy is screwed in place.
Do I have to run heavy duty wires from the LiPos through an on/off switch to the unit to turn the power to the unit on/off. i was hoping that there would be an electronic switch on the PCB that would effectively act as an external switch to turn the unit on and off. Is this the fail safe switch..? If so, is the switch SPST..? If so which pins of the FS input are shorted when the switch is ON..?
Any help would be appreciated as this is one good piece of kit and I am frightened of burning it by experimentation.
Cheers
Stan
Old 05-07-2008, 09:38 AM
rrritchey

Hi Stan,
You can either use a heavy duty switch between each battery and the Eq6 or you can use the failsafe switch. We sell the Failsafe Switch and Charge package which give you the failsafe switch, Pin&Flag or slider switch, and two charge leads that plug into the Chg ports on the Eq6 and two Ernst charge jack mounts to mount these charge leads to the side of the plane so you can check/charge the batteries. We short the white wire (Futaba) to the black wire to turn the unit off. Fromeco does something different so their switches do not work on our units.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:22 PM
smb

Hi Robert,
Thanks for being so prompt and making the above crystal clear. i will order the extra parts today.
Cheers
Stan