Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

EqualizerII, Futaba 7C, dual elevator servos

Old 05-15-2008, 06:20 PM
bbellfly
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EqualizerII, Futaba 7C, dual elevator servos

Hi rrritchey,

I am sure through the threads you may have already addressed this question. I looked for a bit, but didn't see it. I did notice that elevator halves was diusccuesed. I am somewhat new to the world of R/C components. Please forgive me if I missed something you've already posted.

I am building a Goldberg Edge 540 67". Never knew it was a problem setting this plane up using the Futaba 7C. Don't get me wrong, this is the first time I have encountered a problem with this radio's ability. Other than that I like the radio alot.

My components are; Futaba 7C, Futaba R168DP, HS 635HB ( 2 ailerons, 2 elevator, 1 rudder), Futaba 3004 (1 throttle)

My problem; Running flapperons to accomodate two Aileron servos, the only way to accomodate dual elevator servos (as per Bax on Futaba support) would be y-harness or P-Mix. A normal y-harness would cause me to have to remove and replace linkages already fixed in the airplane. If I don't have to make these changes it would be better for me. When connecting and programming the P-Mix I came up with a problem. Using ch2 (master)and ch5 or 7 (slave) and mechaniclly trimming the two elevator halves, I end up with this problem. " When moving the elevator up, the left elevator half travels further up after the right side stops. When moving the elevator down, the right elevator half travels further down after the left side stops".

Again, Bax from Futaba told me it had to be adjusted in the RT %'s. I tried and it got worse.

My questions;
1) Is the Equalizer II somewhat of a full adjustable, reversible, y-harness? (accommodates 2 servos, and plugs into 1 channel (ch2) of the receiver, and allows the full adjustment of bottom end point, top end point, center and reverse for each servo)
2) Or does it take an Equalizer II for each servo, and plugs into 2 different channels.
3) Is the Equalizer II the right fix for my Elevator problems with the 7C.

Thanks for your help....
Old 05-17-2008, 04:16 PM
rrritchey

Default RE: EqualizerII, Futaba 7C, dual elevator servos

Hi,
Yes, the Equalizer II would be a good solution for this. You can reverse either or both servos, you can adjust each servo's center and two endpoints. You would need 1 channel on the receiver to drive 2 servos off the Equalizer II. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:13 PM
bbellfly

Thank you very much.... I do have another question about its use. Reading the material on you website, I saw where it was highly recommended not to set up with more than 50 degrees of travel.

This is a 3-D plane and I have my D/R set at 130% on High, 100% on middler setting, and 80% on the low setting. Will this be a problem with the Equalizer II?

Also How fast could I expect to receive it If I order tonight? My club has a Fun Fly one week from today..... Location is Georgia.

Thanks,
bbell
Old 05-19-2008, 09:32 AM
rrritchey

Hi BBell,
We are talking about actual servo rotation. If you go past 50 degrees of servo rotation you really start loosing mechanical advantage. I guess if your ATV at 130% is more than 50 degrees and you want it there then that is fine. Be careful, a lot of digital servos start acting funny at very high ATV.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:20 PM
bbellfly

I've got my Equalizer II in yesterday. Thanks for the quick turn around. I am a little overwhelmed by the programming directions. I am working through it. But was curious in using it to mate two elevator halves. What all is required in the Options Menu to be turned on? From what I am understanding #'s 6, 5, 2 then return to 0?

And, I also think I am understanding that before powering up the first time I should hook up both servos and hook to receiver?

bbell
Old 05-23-2008, 06:32 PM
rrritchey

Hi BBell,
You actually don't have to use the option menu but it may make setup easier. In the option menu you can reset (6), calibrate (5, transmitter on) and turn on endpoint hold (2). When you return to 0 you are in run mode. For split elevators, plug in both servos and then turn to 1 to adjust servo A. When you have the center and endpoints where you want them, turn to 2 and adjust servo B. If you need to reverse a servo, turn to 4 (reverse A) or 5 (reverse B) and press the "INCR" button to turn on reversing. Let me know if you have any other questions.