Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Failing (slider) safety switches

I seem to have run across a series of failing slider safety switches. On my AW 30% Yak, after the fourth flight yesterday, I noticed the servos were still humming (ON) after turning OFF the slider switch! This slider switch is no good, no intermittant short, no nothing! NOT a good reliability record for only 15 flights!

So today I flew my 30% SD-260 Extra, and afterwards decided to swap that slider switch out of it & into the AW Yak. Then I find THAT slider switch had an intermittant short whereby the Super Regulator would flicker On-OFF-ON-OFF in the Off position. This plane has about 20 flights on it. A fellow flier has the same problem, but he tie-strapped his to work (NOT the proper thing to do, but it works).

Is the slider style of safety switches you sell more failure prone/less reliable than the pin & flag style?
    Should I replace these slider style safety switches for the pin & flag style?

Only the slider safety switch in my GP Ultimate is still good.....so far.
    Jim L.
    Learn from the mistakes of others.You won,t live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Failing (slider) safety switches

Hi Jim,
    This is the first I have heard of any problems with the sliders. I have sold probably 250 over the last year and you are the only one that has reported any problems. I would be glad to look at the switches you think are having issues. I really cannot say if there is any problem until I can look at one that is acting flaky. If you want to send me one or both I can check them out. The slider should not be any less reliable than the Pin & Flag.
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll send both units back to you, tomorrow after I get off work. Since that'll probably take 2 weeks turn around,
    I just ordered a spare so I can fly one of the afflected planes next weekend.

Thanks for looking into this.
    Jim L.
    Learn from the mistakes of others.You won,t live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Jim,
    I can send you two replacements if you give me your e-mail address. I would not expect you to buy another to replace a defective one. I can get it on Priority mail as soon as I get your address.
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Jim,
    After my cup of coffee I realized I had your address on the order form. Sorry, will get 2 out today.
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rrritchey

Hi Jim,
    After my cup of coffee I realized I had your address on the order form. Sorry, will get 2 out today.
    Hey, that's great and thank-you very much!!!

About that coffee, I had to give mine up some years back. Replaced it with the smell of nitro & sound of gas engines in the mornings.
    Jim L.