Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

JR 2.4 / SmartFly issue ***HELP***

Old 07-10-2008, 01:36 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 2.4 / SmartFly issue ***HELP***

Guys,

Was working to rig my KC last night and I am having a horrible time with the flaps. The system is wigging out....here is what I have installed:

JR / Spectrum AR9000 DSM2 9 Ch RX
Smart Fly EQ10
2 Ea. 2S A123 batteries
JR PCM10X with 2.4 module
2721 Servo

The issues are:

Flap servo jitters violently at various times and requires the system to be shut down to restore normal operation
Flap servo appears not to have the ability to hold a given flap position with any degree of force. Surface can be easily deflected by light hand pressure.
Servos DO NOT jitter when being driven buy a external servo driving device, they only operate violently when powered via EQ10.

I was convinced that I needed to buy new servos, now I am not so sure.

Does anyone have any idea what my next move should be?

TIA.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:48 PM
rrritchey

Default RE: JR 2.4 / SmartFly issue ***HELP***

ORIGINAL: F-18DiamondBack102
Guys,
Was working to rig my KC last night and I am having a horrible time with the flaps. The system is wigging out....here is what I have installed:
JR / Spectrum AR9000 DSM2 9 Ch RX
Smart Fly EQ10
2 Ea. 2S A123 batteries
JR PCM10X with 2.4 module
2721 Servo
The issues are:
Flap servo jitters violently at various times and requires the system to be shut down to restore normal operation
Flap servo appears not to have the ability to hold a given flap position with any degree of force. Surface can be easily deflected by light hand pressure.
Servos DO NOT jitter when being driven buy a external servo driving device, they only operate violently when powered via EQ10.
I was convinced that I needed to buy new servos, now I am not so sure.
Does anyone have any idea what my next move should be?
TIA.
You might be having an issue with these servos that people used to have with 5-cell nickel packs were the signal voltage (3.3V) is just barely too low for the servo when its power at 7.2V. Then again it might be something else. When you drive the servo with the external servo driver is it running the servo at 7.2V or something around 5.0V? If you contact me I can send you a replacement to see if it helps or not.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:00 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Robert,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am not sure about the voltages as it relates to signaling. What I do know is I am running this exact same setup with the exception of the servo in my Élan and have no issues whatsoever. I am not convinced that the EQ10 is the issue at this point as my experience with them has been excellent to this point. I am going to remove the EQ10 from the system and drive one flap servo directly off the RX.

As far as the external driver for the servo I am using a 4.8 RX pack to run that system.

My gut is telling me it is the Servos.....

Old 07-10-2008, 02:14 PM
rrritchey

ORIGINAL: F-18DiamondBack102
Robert,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I am not sure about the voltages as it relates to signaling. What I do know is I am running this exact same setup with the exception of the servo in my Élan and have no issues whatsoever. I am not convinced that the EQ10 is the issue at this point as my experience with them has been excellent to this point. I am going to remove the EQ10 from the system and drive one flap servo directly off the RX.
As far as the external driver for the servo I am using a 4.8 RX pack to run that system.
My gut is telling me it is the Servos.....
Let me know if you want to try a new one. No problem sending you one.