Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Failing (slider) safety switches

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 02:21 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failing (slider) safety switches

I seem to have run across a series of failing slider safety switches. On my AW 30% Yak, after the fourth flight yesterday, I noticed the servos were still humming (ON) after turning OFF the slider switch! This slider switch is no good, no intermittant short, no nothing! NOT a good reliability record for only 15 flights!

So today I flew my 30% SD-260 Extra, and afterwards decided to swap that slider switch out of it & into the AW Yak. Then I find THAT slider switch had an intermittant short whereby the Super Regulator would flicker On-OFF-ON-OFF in the Off position. This plane has about 20 flights on it. A fellow flier has the same problem, but he tie-strapped his to work (NOT the proper thing to do, but it works).

Is the slider style of safety switches you sell more failure prone/less reliable than the pin & flag style?
Should I replace these slider style safety switches for the pin & flag style?

Only the slider safety switch in my GP Ultimate is still good.....so far.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:34 PM
rrritchey

Default RE: Failing (slider) safety switches

Hi Jim,
This is the first I have heard of any problems with the sliders. I have sold probably 250 over the last year and you are the only one that has reported any problems. I would be glad to look at the switches you think are having issues. I really cannot say if there is any problem until I can look at one that is acting flaky. If you want to send me one or both I can check them out. The slider should not be any less reliable than the Pin & Flag.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:17 PM
a1pcfixer

I'll send both units back to you, tomorrow after I get off work. Since that'll probably take 2 weeks turn around,
I just ordered a spare so I can fly one of the afflected planes next weekend.

Thanks for looking into this.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:11 AM
rrritchey

Hi Jim,
I can send you two replacements if you give me your e-mail address. I would not expect you to buy another to replace a defective one. I can get it on Priority mail as soon as I get your address.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:27 AM
rrritchey

Hi Jim,
After my cup of coffee I realized I had your address on the order form. Sorry, will get 2 out today.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:50 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: rrritchey

Hi Jim,
After my cup of coffee I realized I had your address on the order form. Sorry, will get 2 out today.
Hey, that's great and thank-you very much!!!

About that coffee, I had to give mine up some years back. Replaced it with the smell of nitro & sound of gas engines in the mornings.