Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Power Expander & Fasst RX Placement

Robert;

I have the Power Expander Sport Plus model and was planning to use my first Futaba 2.4 Fasst set up with it on a GS P-51, a lot money will be spent and now I find out that these receivers have a heat Tolerance problem; in your instructions you indicate that the Receiver is mounted flat on the Power Expander using that Super Velcro and the Expander mounted on the rubber standoffs, etc; right? now Futaba recommends mounting these receivers on their side and possible on some standoffs to allow adequate air circulation around the receiver case; will this work with the Power Expander Sport model? I am considering not bothering upgrading to 2.4 and use 72 which does not have this problem, any recommendations or input would be helpful.

Doug.
    P-40 Brotherhood #3
    P-47 Brotherhood #32
    Spitfire Brotherhood #29
    Not so scale, Almost ready to fly, Soon to be scrap,
    Warbird Brotherhood #58
    Top Flite GS P-51, P-40, FW190
    and Great Planes 30cc CITABRIA
    Future Project:Top Flite GS A6M ZERO
    RIP: H9 Spitfire & H9 P-47

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Power Expander & Fasst RX Placement

Hi Doug,

I Had the same concerns as you as far as FASST, Smart-Fly PE Set-ups and the dreaded heat issue. This photo is my set-up in a 35% YAK 54. As you can see, the reciever is installed in the stock location. The biggest concern is not allowing the equipment to "Heat Soak" while sitting on the ground in the pit area prior to flight. As long as it is kept away from heat sources, ie; Mufflers, Headers, Tuned pipes, Voltage regulator Heat sinks, Not Wrapped and insulated in foam and above all....shaded from Direct Sunlight! You'll be Fine.(A White Towel over the canopy works great.) Most of my Flying is here in the Southeast and temps have been over 95 with NO Problems!

I've done as much reading about the subject as possible using this and other Forums, what I found is, 99% of the problem shows up when powering up after the airplane has sat in the pit area, the reciever "Red Lites" and won't Bind to the Transmitter.

-larry-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca80702.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	1027375  
    Larry L.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Power Expander & Fasst RX Placement

Hi,
    It is possible to mount the FASST receiver on its side, we have done it here. Doing this will expose the back to the air as Futaba recommends. We also have a Plexiglas receiver mount that looks like an "L" where the receiver mounts on the vertical leg of the "L". You could drill out holes in the Plexiglas that would permit more airflow to the back of the receiver. Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com