Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

TurboReg with different battery sizes

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 12:42 AM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default TurboReg with different battery sizes

I have always been using my TurboReg with 2 identical batteries. For my next project, I'm trying to save as much weight as possible and would like to use 2 lipos of very different capacity to have one main battery and one smaller backup. This is for a jet application. I'm thinking about using 1 2000mah main battery and add a 500-800mah backup battery.

From what I understand, the TurboReg will draw current from whichever battery has the highest voltage. So am I right to assume it will draw current from both the main and backup battery, until the small backup battery voltage drops faster than the main battery in which case the main battery will be used?

Is this correct? Do you think the setup above is an advisable application?

Thanks

Arnaud

Old 12-14-2008, 12:51 PM
rrritchey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TurboReg with different battery sizes

Hi Arnaud,
You can do this and the TurboReg will attempt to keep the two batteries at the same voltage so the current drawn from each will be different. The smaller battery will not be a backup battery. I would recommend you just use two 1350mAH batteries instead as they would share the current. There is no advantage I can see in using different size batteries and the disadvantage is that the bigger battery will have more stress.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:14 PM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: TurboReg with different battery sizes

Thanks a lot for the very fast response! I will take your advice and use 2 small batteries.

Best,

Arnaud