Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

SET UP

Old 12-01-2009, 09:01 PM
ricomari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SET UP

I'm currently planning a set up for a 1/3 clipped wing cub. I'd like to use two 2600 Li-Ion's w/ both JR and dean plugs. I want to use a SF Super Reg with a fail safe switch and a AR7000 receiver.
How do I get the power from the regulator to the AR7000....is there a jump lead with a dean connector on one end (regulator end) to a JR connector for the receiver? I also have a EQ6T and it warns againt connecting the Batt lead from the EQ6T to the Batt port on the receiver, would this apply to my planned setup? Thanks, Henry
Old 12-02-2009, 09:47 AM
rrritchey

Default RE: SET UP

Hi Henry,
You will have to make a Deans UltraPlug to JR plug adapter for the SuperReg. The problem with this setup is that you really need 1 connection from the regulator for every 2 servos so you really need about 4 connections into the receiver from the regulator to support running servos off your receiver which you are not going to be able to do with a 7-channel receiver. I would recommend at least 2 connections from the regulator to the receiver. The Eq6T warning does not apply here because you are not taping the servo outputs. From the SuperReg you can plug into the battery port and an open servo port on the receiver.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:18 AM
ricomari

Robert, thanks for the quick reply. I'm confused. I was planning on using the two outputs from the SuperReg to connect to the receiver Batt port and an empty port. I don't understand about havng a connection for every two servos ( "4 connections into the receiver from the regulator"), there are only two outputs on the SuperReg. Will this regulator not support/feed the receiver with the two output with all the servos plugged into the receivers . Sorry for my confusion, I'm sure it's simple and I'm just not grasping it. Henry
Old 12-02-2009, 12:47 PM
rrritchey

Hi,
With the high-torque digital servos these days you really need a power connection for each two servos because of the current draw of the digital servos. Let me explain something about digital servos that most people do not realize. When you hook a digital servo up to a current meter, if it shows the servo is drawing 1 amp what is really happening is that the servo is on for 1 millisecond and off for 2-3 milliseconds. What you see on the meter is an average current draw. A servo drawing 1 amp is really drawing spikes of 3-4 amps every 3-4 milliseconds. What this means is that the connector supplying current to the receiver has to supply these spikes. Since you can loose a 1/2V at 3 amps on a standard R/C connector coming from the battery (or regulator) to the receiver bus you want as many connections of power as possible. Ideally you would have one power connector for every servo but this is unreasonable. Making a general rule of 1 power for every two servos seems to work out pretty well. What I was saying was to put two JR connectors on each Deans UltraPlug output so you end up with 4 power connections into the receiver. This minimizes the voltage drop on your receiver bus so your servos do not loose too much power due to voltage droop and your receiver does not go into a soft-reset condition. The issue is not the regulator, its dealing with the power connections into the receiver, the standard R/C connectors just do not handle the power (amperage) requirement of digital servos well. This is why Spektrum (JR) made the PowerSafe receivers and why we make PowerExpanders and PowerSystems, even for 50cc size planes. Digital servos are different animals than analog servos and you have to treat and feed them differently.