Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Results 1 to 8 of 8

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eagan, MN
    Posts
    45
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

    Power system sport plus set-up

    Hello
    After I found this forum and started reading the threads it became apparent at least to me the boys were having trouble interpolating the written instructions written I'm guessing by an engineer. Have you ever made available a more direct approach to setting up a PS with a step by step guide or even a schematic detailing exactly what goes where. Sure would help me and I'm betting I wouldn't be alone. Anyway maybe something to consider
    I just received a PS Sport plus with optical cut-off and fail safe switch for my AW 85CC Extra 260 with 5 X HS7955TG and 1 X 5985 2 X Fromeco 2600 for system power and one 2600 on ignition. What I forgot on my initial order was which Smart-Fly regulator do you recommend for the ignition
    Most pilots in large scale at my field fly your equipment and now so will I beginning with my first biggin'
    Thank you
    Dave P

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    947
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

    RE: Power system sport plus set-up

    Hi Dave,
    Yes, the instructions were written by an engineer, me. The problem with schematics diagrams is there are so many ways to hook things up its hard to cover all the bases. I feel its easier to instruct the user on what function everything performs so they can understand the unit's function and use for their application appropriately. Also, this is why we are on a number of support forums, to help users get past anything that is not clear to them.
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portsmouth, VA
    Posts
    92
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well I am with dmparri on the schematic. I have my first Smart-Fly products (Powerexpander Competition 12 & ignition cutoff) on there way and like it or not first time user need more help than the standard user's guide. A schematic gives you that warm fuzzy that you have connected things the way the manufacture intended. Another thing is charging through the board dose not talk about how this is handled since our A123 / LiPo battery also have a balance tap to consider. Please help the newbie!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    947
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    For the most part people call for tech support on the things they do no understand. I can usually walk then through things in about 5 minutes. There are so many ways to hook these units up it would be nearly impossible to cover them all in a manual with schematics. As far as charging with the card and battery packs that need balancing, its really not possible. The only thing I can
    suggest is to take your balance plug to a charge jack on the side of the plane (like an Ernst charge jack if its a JR style) and then charge through the card for the main charging a use the balance plug on the side of the plane to connect your charger balance. Most of the time the balance plug is not a JR style. If it is a JR style, there are two ways to wire them so that confuses things. Also, connection to the board is a two conductor Deans so there is no way to connect the center tap.

    Quote Originally Posted by mustangherb View Post
    Well I am with dmparri on the schematic. I have my first Smart-Fly products (Powerexpander Competition 12 & ignition cutoff) on there way and like it or not first time user need more help than the standard user's guide. A schematic gives you that warm fuzzy that you have connected things the way the manufacture intended. Another thing is charging through the board dose not talk about how this is handled since our A123 / LiPo battery also have a balance tap to consider. Please help the newbie!
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portsmouth, VA
    Posts
    92
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Robert,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my message. I will be connecting two A123 2S ED NANO 2500 mah batteries to the power expander and using a LiFe 2s 1700 mah battery for the ignition.

    Bill

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    947
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If you have more questions, you can call or post again. The problem with batteries that need to be balanced is many. First, there are numerous types of balance plugs. Second, the chargers all charge differently, some charge through the main power connector and balance using the balance plug. Other chargers charge through the balance plug only. Also, since out units only need power and ground then there is no where for the balance lead. All the high current plugs have only two contacts. This is a thorny issue for which there is no good solution.

    Quote Originally Posted by mustangherb View Post
    Robert,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my message. I will be connecting two A123 2S ED NANO 2500 mah batteries to the power expander and using a LiFe 2s 1700 mah battery for the ignition.

    Bill
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Macon, GA
    Posts
    82
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yes, there are lots of people that find the instructions confusing. The little lady on the web page made it look so easy, and for what she was demonstrating worked. So why would it be so hard to put instructions on a DVD or CD that explains every aspect of each adjustment and what to expect. I still cant get all functions to work as explained in your instructions. I be-leave you could sell a lot more
    equipment if there were better instructions. I had better luck trial and error method.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    947
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I am sorry you had problems with the instructions. I have about 50% that are fine with them and 50% which find them hard to follow. I hope to have something better for the new products as they come out and go back to some of the older products and see how I can improve the instructions. Thanks for your input and I will see how I can improve.

    Quote Originally Posted by manion_30 View Post
    Yes, there are lots of people that find the instructions confusing. The little lady on the web page made it look so easy, and for what she was demonstrating worked. So why would it be so hard to put instructions on a DVD or CD that explains every aspect of each adjustment and what to expect. I still cant get all functions to work as explained in your instructions. I be-leave you could sell a lot more
    equipment if there were better instructions. I had better luck trial and error method.
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RCU Reviews
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:08 PM.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.