Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Power Expander Sport Plus and ignitio battery

Please
    I purchased a Power Expander Sport Plus with an ignition cut-off. At the moment I'm using 3 Nicd Batteries. Two for the Power expander, and one for the ignition.
    But, because of the weight, I would like to change this batteries for Lipo/Ion ones.
    I've been reading about it, and I realized that I will need to buy a power regulador SportReg with failsafe switch where I'm going to connected my 2 lipo batteries, and after connected them to the power expander. (is this correct??)
    But actually my question is: How can I feed my ignition using the power supplied to the power expander. I don't want to use another battery just for the ignition (DA50R one).
    How is gonna the connection to use only 2 batteries on my system, to provide redundant power to receiver/servos, and also to the ignition.
    Can I connected the ignition battery connector to one of the free channels of my power expander to provide energy to it????
    thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Power Expander Sport Plus and ignitio battery

Hi,
    If you want to run lithium packs on the PowerExpander Sport Plus but do not have high voltage servos you will need the SportReg or the SuperReg. You will need to turn the regulator up to about 6.4V to get 6.0V to your servos because the BatShare built into the PowerExpander Sport will drop about 0.4V.

I honestly do not recommend mixing your ignition power with your radio power. I really cannot encourage this kind of arrangement as I do not want to be responsible for you loosing your plane if something goes wrong in your ignition module and the noise feeds back into your receiver and takes it out.
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What if I use a IBE unit from Aero Tech to filter and avoid the ignition noise feeds back into the receiver???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,
    This is entirely up to you. We do not recommend connecting the ignition power to the radio power with anything. That is just us. I don't want to loose a plane just to save a few dollars and ounces on a battery, but you have to decide for yourself.
    Robert Ritchey
    Owner, Smart-Fly
    www.Smart-Fly.com