Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Which Power System

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:36 AM
mark5080
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Power System

Hello Robert
Will soon be building a 40% Pitts M12, running a DA150, will have 4 HS7955's on aileron's and 2 on elevator's, also 2 HS7940's on rudder. Will be using 2 lipo's for the power sys and a 5cell nickle metal for ign. Thinking about pin and flag for the PS and a seperate sw for ign. Am leaning towards the Eg6 turbo but don't need the servo matching or the Competition 12 Turbo, is there any difference btwn the 2 minus servo matching and the amount of channel's available?
Here are some questions I hope you can clear up for me.

1 - If running a good analog servo for throttle can it be plugged directly into the PS, why do some say plug into receiver instead?

2 - When chrg the lipo's threw the PS is each plug dedicated to it's own battery, also in order to chrg 2 at the same time does that mean 2 seperate chargers and what about cell balancing, do the main deans connectors need to be
unplugged and each battery charged as if it were out of the plane?

3 - Don't understand why some say power the receiver and servo's seperately, doesn't the PS do that for you?

Need to know what PS you recommend and anything else that may be helpful. Thanks for your time Mark

Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 AM
rrritchey

Default RE: Which Power System

Hi,
Either the Eq6 Turbo or the Competition 12 Turbo would be good choices. Their functionality besides the servo matching on the Eq6 is identical.

1) You should never, ever plug a servo into the receiver on a PowerExpander or PowerSystem. You could overload the receiver regulator and take down your plane. You can use analog or digital servos with all our systems.

2) You can only charge both batteries at the same time if you have a charger that does high-side current sensing because of the common ground created. This is not unique to our systems. The only charger I know of that is not affected is the Fromeco Cube. If you want to charge both batteries at the same time with another charger or chargers you need to break the ground circuit by unplugging one battery.

3) The PowerSystems and PowerExpanders run both the servos and receiver off the same pair of batteries, but it does isolate the receiver from servo noise. If you run receiver and servos off separate batteries and loose a battery you loose your plane, there is no redundancy in this setup.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:54 AM
mark5080
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Which Power System

Thank you for your quick response, you have been very helpful. Should be purchasing today.

Thanks Again Mark