Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Unit won't shut off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 03:55 PM
DennisD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unit won't shut off.

Hi Robert.

I have one of your Power Expander Sport Plus units with the ignition cut-off.

The unit is mounted in a 50cc Aeroworks Extra 260, and is powered by 2 2000 Mah NiMh batteries from NOBS batteries using your failsafe switch

I recently had a hard landing and ripped the landing gear out of the plane. There was minimal damage to the plane, just the landing gear mounting needed to be replaced.

When I started the repair, I unplugged the batteries from the power expander so I could lay the plane on its side, after pulling out the failsafe pin.

I have now finished the repair and I plugged in the batteries and put the pin in the switch, and the unit wouldn't shut off.

I thought, "OK these things are supposed to fail in the "ON" position, so maybe the switch is bad". I have a NIP spare switch, so I changed it out.

No change, the unit still won't shut off.

Any idea what it could be? It's a bit of a pain to take the hatch off to disconnect the batteries whenever I want to go flying.

I'm afraid to fly it now, in case the unit is defective. The unit is only 2 years old and it has worked great up until now.

Hopefully it's something simple.

Regards,

Dennis
Old 04-26-2010, 04:00 PM
rrritchey

Default RE: Unit won't shut off.

Hi Dennis,
I would imagine that the small transistor in the unit that controls the on/off might have been damaged by ESD. This is easy to fix. I am sure the overall unit is fine, something just zapped that transistor.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:07 PM
DennisD

ORIGINAL: rrritchey

Hi Dennis,
I would imagine that the small transistor in the unit that controls the on/off might have been damaged by ESD. This is easy to fix. I am sure the overall unit is fine, something just zapped that transistor.
Hi Robert:

Thanks for the quick reply. You've got me there, what is ESD?

Is this something I can fix myself? or do I have to send it back to you?
Old 04-26-2010, 04:32 PM
rrritchey

Hi,
We will have to replace the transistor the failsafe switch controls. ESD is Electrostatic discharge. The transistors are protected against 2000V but sometimes and ESD shock can be higher.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:19 PM
DennisD

So I guess I'll have to do without it for a couple of weeks while it is in transit.

I still have the original box you sent it to me in, so I'll use that to send it back to you.

There was a copy of the bill in the box. I purchased it from you 8/22/08.

Can you be sure to mark the box "WARRANTY REPAIR" when you send it back please?

That way I don't get hit with duty and taxes again when it comes through customs at the border on its way back.

Or do you have a repair center in Canada I can send it to?

REgards,

Dennis
Old 04-26-2010, 05:29 PM
rrritchey

Hi,
Sorry, we do not have a repair depot in Canada. We will get this back to you as fast as we can. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:40 PM
DennisD

Thanks Robert, I'll get it in the mail tomorrow.

Regards,

Dennis
Old 05-07-2010, 10:49 AM
DennisD

Hi Robert:

Sent my Power Expander out to you for repair on 4/27/10

Just curious whether you have received it yet?

Regards,

Dennis
Old 05-07-2010, 12:02 PM
rrritchey

Hi Dennis,
No, it has not shown up yet. Do you have tracking?
Old 05-07-2010, 05:14 PM
DennisD

Hi Robert:

Yes, Tracking says "2010/04/30 09:26 International shipment has arrived in the destination country"

So it has been there since 4/30/10.

I sent it to:

Quest Engineering
6125 South Ash Ave.
Suite B-8
Tempe, Az 85283.

This was the address on the original bill of lading from when you sent me the Expander.

Sure hope that's the right address.

I also asked them to notify me when it was delivered to you, which hasn't happened yet.

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 05-07-2010, 05:19 PM
rrritchey

Hi,
Yes, this means its in customs. It can take anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks to clear customs, no telling why. We are watching for it. Since you have tracking you will know when its delivered to our office.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:20 PM
rrritchey

If you used EMS then your tracking number should work in the USPS tracking system. If you send the tracking number to me I might be able to see some tracking, then again maybe not.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:33 PM
DennisD

Hi Robert:

Tracking number is CX 227 157 988 CA

Regards,

Dennis
Old 05-07-2010, 05:42 PM
rrritchey

Yep, I can track it but it looks like its stuck in customs in Chicago. Status will probably not be updated until it gets to Phoenix.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:50 PM
DennisD

Thanks, Robert

Foiled by the Customs people again.

And it will probably get held up in Canadian Customs again on the way back!!

So much for a quick turnaround!!

Please don't forget to mention in the customs paperws when you send it back that it is a warranty repair, or I'll end up paying the taxes on the full value again in Canadian Customs on the return run!!

Thanks again,

Regards,

Dennis
Old 05-11-2010, 01:02 PM
rrritchey

Hi Dennis,
We have your unit and we cannot make it fail. The failsafe switch always works. We have pounded it on the table, tried two failsafe switch, the failsafe switch always works. I really do not know what to tell you.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:14 PM
DennisD

Hi Robert:

Well, now you've got me really puzzled!!. When I put the pin in the switch, it wouldn't shut off!! The lights stayed on, and the radio worked, didn't matter whether the pin was in or not!! I have a spare switch, and it didn't work it either!!

I have 2 NOBS 6 volt 2000 mah batteries plugged in to the Expander, controlled by one of your Fail safe switches. The batteries are also connected thru the expander to the Ernst Charging Jacks.

When I repaired the plane, I unplugged the batteries and the switch. When repairs were complete, I hooked everything back up again.

What I did do though, and I don't know if this had anything to do with it, is I had both batteries hooked up to a Hobbico quick field charger at the same time. They charged for a while, and then I got a funny beep from the charger telling me something was not hooked up right.

I guess it didn't like the common ground you have in the expander. Could this have done something temporarily to make the switch inoperable?

It's the only thing I can think of. You might want to experiment to see if that will cause it to fail.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:22 PM
rrritchey

Hi,
You cannot every charge both batteries at the same time unless you have a Fromeco Cube. No other charger can charge two batteries connected together (connected to a receiver, power system, regulator anything when they end up at the same place, even through switches). If you had damaged the PowerExpander then it would have stayed dead. It would not be temporary. We have tried everything we can think of and we cannot get the system to NOT shut off when its commanded to by the pin switch. Are you sure you are using OUR pin switch? The Fromeco pin switch will not work. They are wired differently. There is nothing wrong with this unit we can detect when its used with our pin switch. I am sorry but you have us stumped also. I am leaving for Joe Nall tomorrow. If you want us to send the unit back you can contact my tech who will be here the rest of the week.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:02 PM
DennisD

Hi Robert:

I know that I should not charge them both at the same time. I did it without thinking!! (Doh!!)

I only use your switches, I have 3 of them. I don't know what to say.

I guess if you can't find anything wrong with it, you'd better send it back to me. You have my return address.

Sorry for any inconvenience, at least I'll know its still OK to use!!.

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 05-12-2010, 04:46 PM
rrritchey

Hi,
Please contact me at [email protected] for return shipping options and payment. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:16 PM
DennisD

Hi Robert,

E mail on the way to you.

Regards,

Dennis
Old 05-27-2010, 01:28 PM
DennisD

Hi Robert:

Received my Power Expander Sport Plus back to day. Thanks for the switch.

I now feel duty bound to tell all your readers that there was nothing wrong with the power expander except the dumb IDIOT trying to use it (ME!!).

It appears that I had the batteries plugged into the wrong end of the unit!!. When I received it back, I plugged in a battery and it wouldn't shut off again!! I checked again and noticed that I had the battery plugged into one of the servo slots, instead of the battery slots. DOH!!!!

Getting ready for retirement in November - Maybe I need to get ready sooner!!

Thanks for your assistance,

Regards,

Dennis
Old 05-27-2010, 01:49 PM
rrritchey

Hi,
Everyone makes mistakes and I have found its very easy to repeat a mistake if you are sure you are doing something right. I do this all the time debugging software, I assume something has to be right and look everywhere else for the problem. It usually ends up being the place I was sure was behaving correctly.