Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Sport Plus Lighting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:20 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Sport Plus Lighting Issue

I have installed the Sport in my 33% Waco. I forgot to run wires for my lights so I tapped into the servo lead for the +/- power conncetions for my LED nav lights. The Sport is having issues with this and is isolating that channel, the servo will not operate. I can hook up straight to a recever and everything is fine.
I am using a Hitec Aurora radio and I have 2 6v 2400ma batteries powering the Sport. Is there anything I can do to get the Sport to allow me to power the LED's from the servo leads? I hate to have to scrap my Nav lights.
Thanks!!
Anthony
Old 07-24-2010, 08:14 AM
WacoNut

Default RE: Sport Plus Lighting Issue

I am thinking that installing diodes on each side of the LED might keep the Smart-Fly from thinking their is a short and isolating the channel? Any thought here?
Anthony
Old 07-24-2010, 09:33 AM
rrritchey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
There is no reason you could not run these from an unused servo output. There must be something else you are doing different between plugging into the receiver and into the unused servo port. The power on that port can support several amps so there is no current draw issue.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:03 AM
WacoNut

Robert,
The issue is I am tapped into the servo lead. I forgot to run a dedicated lead to the top wing for the nav lights. I will have to run a new power lead for the lights and get them off the servo leads.

I am having other issues at the moment. I have the aileron's working on ch 5 but they are not working on ch 1 and the throttle is also not working. I am running 2 servo's on each ail ch. Going to have to tinker with it. I may hook up another receiver off the power expander to make sure the radio is setup properly.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:07 AM
WacoNut

Robert,
It seems like I had two dirty plugs in the top wing. I had them masked over during the final stages of building and painting but they did get dirty. I cleaned the plugs and I now have servo's and lights operating.
I have to go dig into the throttle issue(probably a diry plug).
Anthony
Old 08-04-2010, 07:07 AM
WacoNut

Robert,
Just to give you an update, the issue was just dirty connectors. I thought I had them well protected during the building/covering and painting process. The lights work great tied directly into the servo leads. The Nav lights are on while the radio is on. I am running 2 2400ma 6v pack thru the Sport and it performed great for my fist 2 flights this past Sunday. It is very nice having the extra security of this system in my new baby.
Thanks!!
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50539.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	1477916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98839.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	1477917  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 AM