RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/smart-fly-quest-engineering-support-forum-328/)
-   -   H-9 46% Ult Bi-Plane (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/smart-fly-quest-engineering-support-forum-328/10123366-h-9-46%25-ult-bi-plane.html)

RC GOLF 11-08-2010 07:00 PM

H-9 46% Ult Bi-Plane

I am starting to put together my Ultimate.
It will have a DA150 or 170 for power.
I plan on using a AR9100 Rx, Jr 9303 Tx, Spektrum 4500 6v ni-mh rx pack (2), 8611a servo's or Hitec equivilent.
I am trying to figure out if I need a smart fly EQ board or not or which one.
I have never used a power board before but I have watched your video on TBM site, helpful but I still don't really understand the idf I need or which one if I do.
I have flown every thing from tiny elec's to 35% carden edge 540. This is new ground for me.
HELP

rrritchey 11-09-2010 09:22 AM

RE: H-9 46% Ult Bi-Plane

Hi,
If you use the AR9100 then you cannot use a power system, anyone's power system as the AR9100 is designed as a stand-alone receiver only.

Personally I don't think AR9100 is up to running this size plane but that is my opinion. If you do want to look at one of our systems I would suggest you get the AR9000 or JR 921 and look at our PowerExpander Eq10.

RC GOLF 11-09-2010 01:37 PM

Bob,
Thank you for your response. I have just spent an hour or so with horizon prod. sup. talking to them about comparison of smart fly against the use of match box's and other recr's. I looked at the 921 and the 9000 it seems to me that the EQ10 or which ever one I would choose is replacing the matcbox's which each one can have it's own power supply for the servos it is controlling. So what I am gaining is ?? all in one board (EQ) as instead of two or three matchboxs.
This plane flew for years with old tech stuff w 8411's. But if the new tech stuff is better or easier and more reliable to use I want it.
I am not asking you to bash another competitor but I am wanting to do this the most reliable way and the easiest to set up way.
Jr Mentioned PBS4810, PBS4840, wow are they expensive but are they worth it..
Right now I believe this communication is strictly between you and me.
If you think you shouldn't answer wo being a basher I am not worried about it I want honest truth.
I am affraid to let the world in on this topic becase to much B.S. comes in to play.
I am one of three employee's at GBI hobbies in Havelock, NC The owner his Dad and me. There is no patron of the store who has more experience than myself.
I want to do it right. I want GBI to be proud of this as a product of the store.
I know this takes up a lot of your time but this knowledge is going to be shared if I can understand it.
Thank you for your assistance.

rrritchey 11-09-2010 01:45 PM

Hi,
Horizon is going to steer you to their products. I don't think going with a AR9100 and a bunch of Matchboxes is good. You loose too much voltage through the Matchboxes at high current draws. The PowerBox stuff is OK, I have pulled several of them apart and I am not impressed with their engineering. If you want to talk to me about that I suggest you call (480) 460-2652.

People have been very happy with the Eq10, it will cost you much less than a PowerBox, there are thousands out there and you are very welcome to explore my reputation at RCU, Flying Giants and Flying Circus.

I try to be very straight forward which is one reason I think Horizon does not like me much. If you want to call we can talk about all this.

Bill Vargas 01-12-2011 06:54 PM

RCGOLF, go with the Eq6 Turbo and a Jr921 RX,,, its very easy to install, setup, program, etc... it just take a little effort and time and maybe a call or 2 to Robert at Smartfly,,, Hes helped me alot in the past few days with this same setup for my AW 100cc 540. I went with 2ea. Thunderpower 2c 5300mah lipos,,, all I can say,,, its way cool and will cost you a lot less than the Jr pwrbox route :D

I have personally met Robert and he's a good guy with the "know-how" to get you going in the right direction for your desired Smartfly setup!

BV