RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/smart-fly-quest-engineering-support-forum-328/)
-   -   Ignition cutoff location question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/smart-fly-quest-engineering-support-forum-328/10982536-ignition-cutoff-location-question.html)

killerG 02-29-2012 11:03 PM

Ignition cutoff location question

I am setting up a friends Extra with a DA50. Ignition is going to be used with a 7.4Li-ion with regulator. My question is where would I install the cutoff? Between the regulator and ignition box or would it go before the regulator? Or does it really matter?
Thanks

bob_nj 02-29-2012 11:38 PM

RE: Ignition cutoff location question

I would think the regulator would go after the cutoff and before the ignition.
That's where mine goes to keep the input voltage to the ignition below 6 volts.

Hope that helps
Bob

mando 03-01-2012 04:37 AM

Here's a quote per Robert....."The regulator should always connect directly to the ignition. "

bob_nj 03-01-2012 05:20 AM

I think that's what I meant...or said... or something [X(]

rrritchey 03-01-2012 06:34 AM

ORIGINAL: killerG
I am setting up a friends Extra with a DA50. Ignition is going to be used with a 7.4Li-ion with regulator. My question is where would I install the cutoff? Between the regulator and ignition box or would it go before the regulator? Or does it really matter?
Thanks
Yes, the regulator should always connect directly to the ignition to avoid loses through additional connectors.

killerG 03-01-2012 08:07 AM

Thanks

killerG 03-02-2012 09:50 PM

ok, i finally hooked it up, but I can't get the cutoff to work. I can't get power to to the ignition. I believe the module by the RX is bad. I have even used a couple of different optic cables and still, nothing. Then I took the module that mounts by the motor and installed it in another plane with a cutoff and I can get power to the ingition then. It must be the module buy the RX.

rrritchey 03-03-2012 09:24 AM

ok, i finally hooked it up, but I can't get the cutoff to work. I can't get power to to the ignition. I believe the module by the RX is bad. I have even used a couple of different optic cables and still, nothing. Then I took the module that mounts by the motor and installed it in another plane with a cutoff and I can get power to the ingition then. It must be the module buy the RX.
Hi, you have to make sure the green LED on the fiber-optic transmitter unit is going on/off with your toggle switch on the transmitter. If it is then the module is good. If its not then you need to start troubleshooting. Most common is people think they have the transmitter programmed correctly but it is not. Use a small servo directly in the receiver to check operation of the transmitter toggle switch.

killerG 03-03-2012 09:30 PM

Yes, the green LED on the fiber optic transmitter is going on/off in conjunction with the toggle switch on my transmitter. So my programming in the radio is correct and setup correctly. And like I said the receiver module is good since I tested it on another plane. The transmitter unit must be bad unless I am missing something else. I have hooked these up before, so I am familiar with how they are setup/work. Anything other way to test it?
Thanks

rrritchey 03-04-2012 07:49 AM

I have never seen a bad unit when the green LED is working. Are you sure you prepared BOTH ends of the fiber-optic cable by very carefully cutting then with a sharp razor or Xacto blade so the ends look like perfectly round shiny mirrors?

killerG 03-04-2012 01:01 PM

I am pretty sure the ends are clean cuts, but i will cut them again. I will let you know.
Thanks

killerG 03-05-2012 10:37 AM

Well, I have tried cutting the cable ends again, even used a different cable, checked all the connections again, and it still doesn't work. I did what you aksed and hooked up a servo to the throttle cut channel, and the servo works with the opperation of the toggle switch. The transmitter module must be bad. There is no other option.
Thanks

rrritchey 03-05-2012 11:08 AM

Well, I have tried cutting the cable ends again, even used a different cable, checked all the connections again, and it still doesn't work. I did what you aksed and hooked up a servo to the throttle cut channel, and the servo works with the opperation of the toggle switch. The transmitter module must be bad. There is no other option.
Thanks
OK, get me your address by e-mail or calling and I will send you a new transmitter. Please send that one back so I can check it out and see what happened.

killerG 03-07-2012 10:39 PM

I got the new module today, everything works like a champ. I will put the bad one in the mail to you tomorrow.

rrritchey 03-08-2012 06:20 AM

I got the new module today, everything works like a champ. I will put the bad one in the mail to you tomorrow.
Thanks, I want to see why the LED was coming on but the fiber-optic was not working. I have never seen
this happen before.