RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/smart-fly-quest-engineering-support-forum-328/)
-   -   PowerExpander Micro-14F (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/smart-fly-quest-engineering-support-forum-328/11419217-powerexpander-micro-14f.html)

CashD 02-22-2013 05:44 AM

PowerExpander Micro-14F

I just learned of the Micro-14F. I see in the specs that whatever voltage battery is plugged in will be seen by the servos, with 5 volts to the receiver itself.

What I don't see (I am probably missing it) is the amperage the unit can supply. Just curious what the unit's capapility is in this domain?

rrritchey 02-22-2013 06:42 AM

RE: PowerExpander Micro-14F

Hi,
Well, that's a really tricky question. If you want constant current, peak current or other parameters to measure this. This is not something you can just put a number on. Regulators are designed for specific currents. Passive devices like this can pass very large peak currents and lower sustained currents and it depends on the acceptable voltage drop due to the current. Basically I would say this unit can pass 16A continuous with 60A pulses. The continuous number is a guess based on the power dissipation of the BatShare diodes in the unit. They can handle 12A continuous forward current each but at this current they are dissipating 5.5W each so I back this down a bit. This is generally just not a relevant number to report for this kind of device. It can handle way more than even a 60% plane would need. Even a 60% plane if setup right should not dissipate more than 2A or so in a static condition. An R/C connector is rated at about 2.5A continuous which means you can run it indefinitely at that current without damage. You can pass 20A through the same connector for less than a half second without damaging it but you will sustain about a 7V drop across the connector. If I was worried about drawing too much current I would have said suggested for 120 gas or smaller or something like that but it is robust enough to handle any size. It will drop a bit more voltage between the batteries and servo bus than a PowerExpander Competition 12 just because there is not as much copper land connecting everything because of the size.

ORIGINAL: CashD
I just learned of the Micro-14F. I see in the specs that whatever voltage battery is plugged in will be seen by the servos, with 5 volts to the receiver itself.
What I don't see (I am probably missing it) is the amperage the unit can supply. Just curious what the unit's capapility is in this domain?

CashD 02-24-2013 06:35 PM

Thanks Robert.<div></div><div>It sounds like it will handle the application I had in mind no problem.</div>

auggiedog 03-18-2013 09:38 AM

can you use a123 or life batteries with the micro-14fif only using one battery? also can you use A123 or life batteries using the batt share device safely? thanks auggi dog

rrritchey 03-18-2013 09:43 AM

Hi,
You could use one battery, personally I think its irresponsible given the damage a plane can do to a person if you loose that battery.
Battery redundancy is such an inexpensive way to get such high gains in reliability I don't know why you would not do it.

The Batshare works with all batteries that maintain at least a 5.5V output at the end of life.

ORIGINAL: auggiedog
can you use a123 or life batteries with the micro-14fif only using one battery? also can you use A123 or life batteries using the batt share device safely? thanks auggi dog

auggiedog 03-18-2013 09:48 AM

sorry ment to say , can you battry share two A123 or two life batteries using the micro-14F expander. thanks auggie dog

rrritchey 03-18-2013 09:50 AM

Hi,
The Micro-14 has a built-in BatShare. If you use two batteries then you get the BatShare feature.
Am I reading the question right?

sorry ment to say , can you battry share two A123 or two life batteries using the micro-14F expander. thanks auggie dog

auggiedog 03-18-2013 10:15 AM

there was something mentioned about using two A123 or two life bateries with the built in batt share,in the micro-14 that those types of may not work well together. i want to purchase a micro-14 but all my 3200mah batteries are hobbico life or lithium iron phosphate batteries

rrritchey 03-18-2013 10:33 AM

Hi,
I really do not know what you are talking about. If you point me to the post I will take a look. LiFe (123) batteries have a very low internal impedance and the BatShare may not drain the two batteries as equally as other chemistries (you may see a 10%-15% difference in capacity when charging back up) but the failure protection of the BatShare works just fine with LiFe.

there was something mentioned about using two A123 or two life bateries with the built in batt share,in the micro-14 that those types of may not work well together. i want to purchase a micro-14 but all my 3200mah batteries are hobbico life or lithium iron phosphate batteries

auggiedog 03-18-2013 10:56 AM

thanks,, robert thats what i needed to know. also thanks for the info on using reduntant battery saftey. im going to get a batt share unit for my other plane!!!!!:D auggie dog

AmericanSpectre505 02-05-2014 06:42 AM

Hi Robert,

I would like to run run the Mirco-14 in my two IMAC birds (39% JTEC 330LX that I've had for 9 years and have never flown and a Carden 37% Yak I have acquired) and I have recently switch from Duarlite L-Ion's, which I've run since 1999 to A123 Sentinels. I am considering using Lipo's (weight reduction), probably two 25C-2S-5000@ 7.4 V and I am considering using the Jeti high amp regulators. I would like to know if their would be any forseen issues with pairing these two devices or any need to use these? Here is a link: http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-volt...ic-switch.aspx

It appears the battery voltage is filtered, but is a straight pass through from the Mirco-14 to the servos and I am not running HV servos at this time and the reason for the regulator question?

Been back and fourth overseas since the beginning of 2010 and have some stateside time to fly again. I am making a come back to the sport ( IMAC/Pattern) and trying to catch up with technology. I have been running a single 6014RX on my 38% Great Planes Extra without issue, as of yet. The older days (as you know) we used the dual PCM RX setup, 2- I4C's, regulators, etc. However, most of us were still running analog servos, as digital servos were just coming out in the late 90's.

Best Regards,

Bill Holsten

Masters World Aerobatic Championships 2000, Don Lowe Masters 2001/ 2003, 1st Annual Carolina 3-D Huck Fest champion, to name a few.

District- 2; NSRCA 2009 FAI/F3A Champion.