RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/smart-fly-quest-engineering-support-forum-328/)
-   -   Power Expander Eq10 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/smart-fly-quest-engineering-support-forum-328/6318214-power-expander-eq10.html)

UkerDuker 09-02-2007 12:23 PM

Power Expander Eq10

I am assembling a 132" AC-130U. I was looking at purchasing the Power Expander Pro, then I read about the Eq10. After reading both available PDF user's guides, I still have a lingering question.

If I go with the PRO version, I am going to purchase the Turbo Regulator.

After reading about the Eq10, does this have a built in dual battery regulator, as long as it between 5.5-8.5v? I havent decided on LiPo of Lithium Ion batteries. Regardless of the battery selection, I need to get a power expander installed shortly.

If I go with the Eq10, will I only need the additional Pin/Flag failsafe, or will I need slider switches also?

Any help is appreciated.
Mike

rrritchey 09-02-2007 12:39 PM

RE: Power Expander Eq10

Hi Mike,
The Eq10 is just like the Pro except for the servo matching. If you plan on running lithium batteries you need to use a TurboReg with either one. The Pin & Flag failsafe switch (order the Failsafe Switch and Charge Package) would be used with the TurboReg in either case also. You would not also need slide switches. The one small drawback of a failsafe switch is that it draws a very small amount of current even when off. Its about 5mAH/Day out of each pack. For this reason we recommend disconnecting your batteries when you are going to have the plane sit a week or longer. If you want to avoid this issue then you would want the SuperSwitchHD 2Pak and would not need the failsafe swtich.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.

red.mckinney 11-02-2007 06:30 AM

I just purchased the EQ 10. My question is can you plug the hd gold switch s in to the carge port and power the units that way you can turn the power off directly?

rrritchey 11-02-2007 09:13 AM

Hi,
You cannot use the charge ports for powering the unit. They can only handle a couple amps each. You have to use the Deans plug inputs. Maybe I misunderstood your question. I was not really clear on what you were asking. Please let me know.

Scoubidou 02-10-2008 06:35 PM

Hello Robert
I know the EQ10 has servos matching on 10 channels but could you explain how do you plug 3 servos/ailerons? Could i set different servo throw on all 3 servos if they are connected on the same channel?
Daniel

rrritchey 02-11-2008 09:22 AM

Hi Daniel,
Each servo on each channel can have its center and endpoints individually set to match all the servos on a single channel. I don't know if you have ever used a Matchbox but the Eq10 is like having 10 Matchboxes (actually Equalizers), one for each channel. Please let me know if you need more information.

martin18152 03-05-2008 04:11 PM

I red in this thread that you need to use a turbo reg with the EQ10, when using lithium, however, the conntction schematics shows the lithium batteries connected directly. On the web page next to the manuals, it dose say that you need to use the regulator with the lithium. Im assuming the diagram means 2 cell Lithium 8.4 v max. Are we saying that the diagram is incorrect? This is the same diagram that came with the regulator. I was thinking about removing my turbo reg.

rrritchey 03-05-2008 04:23 PM

Hi,
You "can" connect lithium batteries directly to the PowerExpander BUT you have to have servos that can take 8.4V. Most servos can't and most servos trash the gears much, much faster at that higher voltage even if they can take the voltage. This is up to you but if you pop a gear train and the servo freezes in flight I warned you. Most servos are recommended to run at 6.0V so a SuperReg (100cc) or a TurboReg (150cc) is recommended to regulate the voltage down to the voltage most servos are rated at.

martin18152 03-06-2008 08:47 AM

Ok, I understand, there is no regulator in the expander, so the voltage just passes through, so my turbo regulator will stay in my 42 % Thanks for the info. Probably could have answered my own question if I red the specificaitons, lol.

Eric D 03-07-2008 10:25 AM

Hi Robert I just read a post that the EQ10 will not work with the new JR12X. Apparently it won't reverse a servo. Only from the TX. I have 2 EQ10's and have a 12X on order. Do you know if they are compatible? If not I will cancel the JR because I think the EQ is invaluable. Eric

rrritchey 03-07-2008 10:32 AM

HI Eric,
Where did you read that post? Reversing a servo on the Eq10 has nothing to do with the receiver. it will reverse a servo no matter what receiver is plugged in. I have not gotten my hands on a JR12x, but I see no reason it would not work. We work with all the new Futaba receivers. I doubt seriously I would get any special treatment if I asked JR for an early one.

Eric D 03-07-2008 10:52 AM

Hi Robert This is posted in the Jets forum under JR 9000 2.4 binding issue. Eric

rrritchey 03-07-2008 11:02 AM

Hi Eric,
I had a friend help me find it, thanks. I am not sure what they mean. If you reverse a servo on the Eq10 it will go in the opposite direction the transmitter commands it no matter what. There is no way around this. I have asked the poster to contact me and explain his assertion in more detail. I do know on the AR7000 we discovered that if you reverse the throttle servo after binding it does not reverse the failsafe position. This bit one guy.

Eric D 03-07-2008 04:47 PM

Hi Robert I sure hope it's BS. I would like you to confirm this. Thanks ,Eric

rrritchey 03-08-2008 12:00 PM

Hi Eric,
I am not sure what you mean by confirm it. I have no idea when I will get my hands on a 12X. I know the way the Eq10 works and it will always reverse a servo if it is set to.

Baywood 03-09-2008 11:01 AM

Robert,
Just received the Eq10 the other day and had a chance to play with it yesterday. There's something it was doing that baffled me and made me think I had a faulty unit. Then, with some more experimenting, it finally did what I was looking for. Let me lead you through my procedure.

After setup and calibrating, I plugged 4 servos in the aileron chanel. (JR10X) After setting the channel and function dials I tried adjusting center and end points on servo (A). When depressing the Incr / Decr buttons servo (B) started moving. Servo (A) wouldn't move no matter which function I put it on. After several minutes of trying to figure it out, I found that if when I turned the system on, went to the center / endpoint adjust function, and immediately moving servo (A) to an extreme, then the Incr / Decr buttons would opperate servo (A)'s centering and endpoints the way it should.

Not sure I made this clear. Is this a "bug" or did I miss this in the operators guide?

BTW....if this thing works the way I think it will, what a GREAT piece of electronics you have here. Why would anyone spend money on PowerBoxes or Matchboxes. This is GREAT!!!!

Thanks for your input!
Ron Storer
Atlanta area

rrritchey 03-09-2008 01:32 PM

Hi Ron,
I am sure you don't have a faulty unit but I cannot reproduce what happened. I did a reset in the option menu, then went back to zero (0) to exit the option menu and then turned it to one (1) to adjust servo A. It moved. Did I do what you did? Was your transmitter on the first time? Its possible that I missed something in the software when going into an adjust function in a certain order. This would not affect the operation of the unit when in RUN mode.

Eric D 03-09-2008 01:54 PM

Hi Robert I don't think the 12X would work any different than other radio . I have not owned a 2.4 radio before, that is why I was concerned. Thanks Eric

rrritchey 03-09-2008 01:58 PM

Ho Eric,
SweatPea has verified that he just had an issue with the throttle getting set right to go to failsafe the right direction. I know there is a way to do this but its tricky. Best to reverse throttle in the transmitter.

jimlang 03-09-2008 08:52 PM

Hi Robert,
I was with Ron when we saw the stange behavior in the Eq10.

1st: We did a "reset all" and "calibrate all". The LED's responded as expected (fast flash on centered channels). And, the Tx was on during the calibration.

We powered off the the unit after calibration was done. Whet to channel 4 and function 1. Powered on the unit. When the Inc/Dec button was pressed, servo B moved (not A). We tried this several times and got the same results. Each time we powered down the Eq. We tried chan 2 and got the same results.

Next we notice, after going to end point adj and back to center, servo A moved. All this time the function dial is on 1. Now everything works as expected.

Everytime we powered up the Eq on function 1, servo B would move until we went to an endpoint adj.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim Langford

rrritchey 03-10-2008 11:52 AM

Hi Jim, Ron,
Either I am not doing things right or you may have an issue with your unit. I took mine here, power off turned to channel 7 (using JR) and function 1. Turned it on. Servo plugged into A on 7. Did not touch the transmitter. Tried increment and decrement and it worked OK. The servo in A moved both ways. I also tried channel 4, same thing. Maybe I should send another to see if you can get it to act the same way there.

jimlang 03-10-2008 12:53 PM

Hi Robert,

I think you got it. If we do what you are doing, then servo B will move and A will not move. Then after we goto an endpoint adjustment, servo A starts working and everything is fine.

If you can send Ron another Eq10, we will take a look.

BTW: Kudos on the Eq10. It is a bit complicated at first, but what flexability we now enjoy in our Giant Scale setup.

Jim Langford

rrritchey 03-10-2008 12:57 PM

Hi Jim,
I will get a new Eq10 out today. Please let me know if you can get it to act the same way as the one you have.

jimlang 03-13-2008 11:14 PM

Hi Robert,

Ron and I tested the new Eq10 tonight. The results are very similar.

We used a JR 10x with a 10 channel Rx. Three Hitec 5945 servos and one JR 8411.

With 4 servos plugged into ch 4:
- reset all: all led went from slow to fast flash
- cal all: chan 2,3,4 and 7 finished with a fast flash. Other channels ended with a slow flash. Chan 2,3,4, & 7 are the only centered channels in the Tx servo monitor.
- powered off, then powered on with chan=4. function=1
- inc/dec move servo B (large steps)
- after going to an end point, inc/dec moved servo A in smaller steps.
- everything seems to work fine (afer endpoint adj) across all 4 servos on chan 4 (moving in smaller steps).

I tried this a couple of time with power cycling between test. I tried reset all and cal all again, but no changes. I also swapped servos A & B with no change.

Next we moved servos C & D to channel 2 A & B:
- powered on with chan=2, function=1
- It works! (both times we tested it worked, ie servo A moved)

Powered down, moved to chan 4, function 1
Powered up
- servo B moves until we go to a endpoint adj.

Other notes: We never turned on servo sequencing. End point hold was alway on (and working).

Take a look at channel 4 on the unit Ron is sending back to you. See if you see the same problem. When we tested the first Eq10, I thought the problem was on chan 2 & 4. But I did not go back and reverify chan 2. The problem was def on chan 4.

Jim

rrritchey 03-14-2008 09:32 AM

Hi Jim,
I tried channel 4 but did not see that. I will again. Strange, all the channels work the same, I don't know why 4 would be different. You are the only one to bring this up so far.