RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/smart-fly-quest-engineering-support-forum-328/)
-   -   Futaba R6014FS Rx & minimum number of servos (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/smart-fly-quest-engineering-support-forum-328/7028540-futaba-r6014fs-rx-minimum-number-servos.html)

Capt Midnight 02-05-2008 03:06 PM

Futaba R6014FS Rx & minimum number of servos

Robert,

Perhaps you can provide a follow-up answer to a recent post on Futaba's forum regarding having at least 1 or more servos plugged directly in to their FASST Rx (R6014FS), thus bypassing the Power Expander, in order to provide some load to their output chips in the Rx. Could you expand on this? Have you had any conversations with Futaba regarding any compatibility issues with Smart-Fly products?

The link to this post is provide below.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6995814/tm.htm

Thanks,

rrritchey 02-05-2008 03:14 PM

RE: Futaba R6014FS Rx & minimum number of servos

Hi,
Quite honestly, with 32 years electrical engineering experience, I see no rational for a need to "load" the receiver. We have worked with all models of receivers. We do provide a load to the signal line of each channel. They do not say if you need to load the signal line or the power bus. There is no way I know of to actually talk to a Futaba engineer so I have no recourse but rely on my engineering experience. The people you are talking to in the forum are not engineers and I would like to see some actual documentation from Futaba that states there must be a load on the receiver. If so, it should state exact numbers.

Capt Midnight 02-05-2008 03:36 PM

Thanks for the reply Robert!

The source for the info at the Futaba forum is Bill Baxter, who is one of the forum moderators and also works at Hobbico. Bax has not replied to my post on their forum, but I can try and ask whether the load is on the power bus side or the signal line if you like, and see what the reply is like.

Regards,

rrritchey 02-05-2008 03:49 PM

Hi Bob,
OK, I posted a question in that thread. We do put a load on each channel's signal wire. It is not as much as a typical analog servo but it is a load. I will be interested to see what justification they give.

znar 02-06-2008 08:27 PM

Hi Robert, I am running 3 Fataba R149DP on 50 MHz each with your PowerExpanders with 9 Dig servos and no servos plugged in direct to the recerver....They work great...am now installing the 4th on in a 35% Extra 260 with the new Eq10 . Staying with what works for me at this time..

ORIGINAL: rrritchey

Hi Bob,
OK, I posted a question in that thread. We do put a load on each channel's signal wire. It is not as much as a typical analog servo but it is a load. I will be interested to see what justification they give.

Capt Midnight 02-14-2008 02:33 PM

Hi Robert,

I checked the thread on Futaba's forum, and there has not been any post back from Bax regarding your question to him..Maybe, there is no good reason why there has to be a servo plugged into the receiver, except that is what Bax is parroting from his sources in Japan.

Anyway, I'm with you in thinking that there is really no good reason why the Futaba statement, and that ALL the servos should be routed through the Power Expander.

I also received the following email from Ted Edginton on 2/5 regarding this issue.

<From Subject Received Size
<[email protected] RE: How many servos MUST be plugged into RX
<Tue 2/5 5 KB

<I have an R6014FS in a Hanager 9 35% with a Smart-Fly Power Expander. All leads from the power expander
<are plugged into the receiver and all servos are plugged <into the power expander. I have maybe 10 flights
<now and no problems at all.
<
<HTH
<Ted Edginton

Regards and thanks,

rrritchey 02-14-2008 02:37 PM

Hi,
I really feel there is no issue here. I may not have gotten a response from Futaba because I was told they will only respond to a new thread with one answer, no follow up. Don't know why.