RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/smart-fly-quest-engineering-support-forum-328/)
-   -   Power Expander Sport Question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/smart-fly-quest-engineering-support-forum-328/7364318-power-expander-sport-question.html)

wttiger42 04-10-2008 11:39 PM

Power Expander Sport Question

I just purchased the Smart Fly PE Sport.

I installed it in the plane tonight and soldered deans plugs onto my fromeco regs and hooked them to the PE plugs (yes + and - are correct)

I get no power to the servos. The lights on the board are on. Im using a JR 649 Receiver

Am i correct in this: I do NOT plug anything into the battery port on the JR receiver?

I just plug the power leads on the left side into the throttle port, then the other power leads into the last aux?

masonman 04-10-2008 11:56 PM

RE: Power Expander Sport Question

Do the wires on the expander that plug to the rx have only one wire in the plug not three? If it only has one wire the signal wire then. then no your rx has no power.
Would need to see a picture or something. Just speculating is all i can do without seeing anything

wttiger42 04-11-2008 12:18 AM

Ill get a pic tomorrow. On each end, the lead has three wires. The center ones only have the signal wire.

tail strike 04-11-2008 08:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picgture of my setup, as you can see there are three wires on the end leads, that is how yours should be.

wttiger42 04-11-2008 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: tail strike

Here is a picgture of my setup, as you can see there are three wires on the end leads, that is how yours should be.

Thanks for the pic. Is your battery leads from the PE plugged into the throttle port and the next port? It looks like maybe your throttle port and the next port are what your PE power leads connect to.

rrritchey 04-11-2008 09:25 AM

Hi wttiger42,
If both LEDs on the board are on you are getting power to the servos. The 3-lead connector off the Sport to the receiver should go in Thro and the last Aux on a JR receiver. Are you sure you have the servo plug in the correct orientation? The orange wire should be to the inside of the unit near the notch in the servo lead guide.

wttiger42 04-11-2008 09:37 AM

ORIGINAL: rrritchey

Hi wttiger42,
If both LEDs on the board are on you are getting power to the servos. The 3-lead connector off the Sport to the receiver should go in Thro and the last Aux on a JR receiver. Are you sure you have the servo plug in the correct orientation? The orange wire should be to the inside of the unit near the notch in the servo lead guide.
I confirmed the wire orientation was correct by bypassing the PE and plugging the regulator directly into the receiver along with the servo extension. I havent hooked the 3-lead wire into the throttle port. The servo wires on the PE itself are wired with the signal wire on the side with the 'top hat' symbol.

I currently have it hooked up like this (which doesnt work): 3-lead into the battery port on receiver, 3-lead into the Aux 4 port and the rest of the 1-leads into the receiver parallel.

Could this be the problem? It wont work because of the battery port and maybe my Aux 4 is inhibited? Or does that not matter with power?

rrritchey 04-11-2008 09:43 AM

Hi,
Putting the 3-wire into the battery port on the receive puts the receiver into DSC mode where it stops listening to its antenna (the transmitter). You have to hook it up the way we say, first 3-lead into throttle, then plug all the single wires in and lastly plug the last 3-lead into any aux port left open.

wttiger42 04-11-2008 09:51 AM

Hi,
Putting the 3-wire into the battery port on the receive puts the receiver into DSC mode where it stops listening to its antenna (the transmitter). You have to hook it up the way we say, first 3-lead into throttle, then plug all the single wires in and lastly plug the last 3-lead into any aux port left open.
Well, that solves the problem! All the ways i tried to fix if have had the 3-lead plugged into the battery slot. If that is true about the DCS mode, then that should solve it.

Thanks again for your help!

tail strike 04-11-2008 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: wttiger42

Thanks for the pic. Is your battery leads from the PE plugged into the throttle port and the next port? It looks like maybe your throttle port and the next port are what your PE power leads connect to.
YEs you are right there is a buss in the reciever you could actually plug a battery into any open port.
But I have since moved the battery plug to the bottom of the reciever where you would plug in the binding plug.
Hope I am not confusing you [:o]

rrritchey 04-11-2008 11:29 AM

YEs you are right there is a buss in the reciever you could actually plug a battery into any open port.
But I have since moved the battery plug to the bottom of the reciever where you would plug in the binding plug.
Hope I am not confusing you [:o]
Hi TailStrike,
You do NOT want to do what you did. You may unbind your receiver, at a very inconvenient time. You should not plug any connections from the PowerExpander to any port on the receiver but servo ports. Bind ports and data ports are NOT ACCEPTABLE to plug any of the PowerExpander plugs into.

tail strike 04-11-2008 12:04 PM

Hmmmmmmm I didn't know that, I guess I should put it back to the battery port like it is in the picture :D

tail strike 04-11-2008 12:27 PM

Robert
on looking at my JR921 recieve There are two ports on the pottom of the reciever
Looking at the picture of the reciever the port on the bottom is labeled BAT1/BIND and the other bottom port is labled BAT2/DATA
That is why I did it that way.
Do you still say I shouldn't do it that way?
Thank you

rrritchey 04-11-2008 12:52 PM

Hi Larry,
You should not be plugging any of the connections from the PowerExpander into the BAT/BIND or BAT/DATA. Its probably not a problem on the BAT/DATA but with any connectors in the BAT/BIND it might go into bind mode at any time. This is why we say in the instructions not to plug into the battery port on any receiver.

wttiger42 04-11-2008 09:08 PM

That fixed the problem. I took the 3-lead out of the battery port and it is working like a champ!