RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/smart-fly-quest-engineering-support-forum-328/)
-   -   Power system and regulator question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/smart-fly-quest-engineering-support-forum-328/8809612-power-system-regulator-question.html)

dingo9882 05-29-2009 04:58 PM

Power system and regulator question

Fella's this is a technical question that I am having a little problem trying to figuer out. I have a Top Flite Giant P-47 that is running 10 servos. This includes all Hitec servos consisting of:

5 5645 Digital MG servos- Rudder, ailerons, elevators
2 5245 digital MG servos- throttle and cutoff
1 HS-82- Retracts
2 645 MG - Flaps

I will be running it off of 2, 21007.4volt lipos with a 9 channel synthasized reciever. My question is this:Which regulator should Ichoose with this configuration?Iwill also be regulating it down to around 5.9 or 6.0 volts. Now I have done the math and I just cannot tell if this is going to work out. Maybe you guys can check my math as well and help me make a decision onto which regulator I should buy.
Now if you guys have a completely different suggestionI am open to it. Reason why I say that is because people are also recommending the power systems. But, just like the last question...which one should I choose for this application.

thanks for any help

Chris

rrritchey 05-29-2009 05:14 PM

RE: Power system and regulator question

Hi Chris,
I would recommend you use the PowerSystem Sport or Sport Plus (I don't know if you are running gas or glow).  This will regulate and provide the 6.0V to your servos from the lithium cells.  Since the regulator is built into the unit you will see no voltage drop at any of the servo outputs no matter how much current the other servos may want. 

You can of course run a regulator into your receiver.  You did not say how heavy a plane this will be, sorry I am not up on the sizes of all these planes.  I am guessing a SportReg will handle your plane but I need to know more about the weight and engine. 

dingo9882 05-30-2009 05:52 PM

The plane will be weighing in at around 25 or 26 pounds and I will be running a gas engine on it around the 70 to 80 range. I hope this helps. If you recommend something else that would be great.

rrritchey 05-31-2009 03:33 PM

Hi Chris,
Unless you are going to be really throwing this plane around the sky the PowerSystem Sport Plus should work just fine.  If you just want to go with a regulator the SportReg or SuperReg will work for you.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

dingo9882 06-01-2009 05:54 AM

I forgot to say one more thing...I will be using two futaba synchronizers as wel...will the PowerSystem Sport Plus still work with these.

rrritchey 06-01-2009 08:37 AM

Hi Chris,
Yes, we will work with the Futaba MSA10s.  If you have not bought these yet you might check out our Equalizers.