Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

smoke pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 10:33 PM
Joe K
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke pump

Has any one used a smoke pump like they use in the planes.
I was thinking it would be cool if citronella would work in one then I could fog for mosquito's.
Would citronella foul out the plug if a little was added to fuel?
[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 06-21-2004, 10:42 PM
10karer
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: smoke pump

Joe

Most of the smoke systems i have seen the smoke fuel is introduced into the exhaust but with the back pressure throttle muffler the oil may get into the engine and would probably foul the plug
Old 06-24-2004, 07:38 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need at least a .40 size engine to actually get smoke from the exhaust..its not burned in the fuel, the only thing you can add to fuel would be a couple of ounces of castor oil to a gallon of fuel to add to your exhaust wash.....I once experimented with a cox engine and burned a gas/oil mix (actual gasoline and 2 stroke oil) on a test stand it worked but you have to keep a battery clip on the glow head and I have no idea how long the engine would have lasted but it sure made plenty of smoke in my basement..maybe I'll try it again out side some time....Rog
Old 06-25-2004, 04:37 AM
Joe K

As I was getting eaten alive wile hovering the back yard, I was just thinking that if the stream of exhaust that I could clearly see had some of the citronella oil (that I put in the torches) I could have fun wile I sprayed the back yard.
Would it be great if your wife asked you to go fly the heli?
I bet it would not take but a few drops per tank. It is oil; at most it would foul out a glow plug to try. I let you know if I try it.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT REAL GAS IN A GLOW MOTOR!
You will destroy the motor and could get hurt.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:13 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well this could be a great excuse for you to buy a bigger helicopter, you could fly a .30 in the back yard buy a pump for it and instead of exhaust just spray with it...I can just hear it now..."Honey, I need a bigger heli to get rid of the mosquitos" see now I would try that, probably why I'm single.....Rog

ps the gas thing was on an .049 engine and it did work, and the tank was only like 5cc, I have about 20 of these engines and am not concerned about ruining one of them..

pps if you have an extra glow plug go ahead and try the citronella thing and let us know..
Old 06-30-2004, 11:43 AM
eegadsman

I'd like to know if someone could get this going.. and how they did it.. being in Oklahoma, during the Summer (now) I get eaten alive.. and I mean EATEN like a mexican at a barbeque.. (yes, I can say that.. Im mexican)...

It would be nice to be able to first "dust off" the flight line and field, then fly without getting little reminders that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time....
Old 07-19-2004, 09:46 PM
Joe K

Default Citronella

OK, I just had to try.
Sunday I added 1.00CC to one tank of fuel and it seemed to run OK.
I only had time to burn one tank, be for the fun police showed up.

Monday I filled it 1/4 full with pure fuel to see if it would start, but I had to take out glow plug and spray off the thick oil on it with (car brake cleaner). It started up fine after that. I then added another 1.00CC to tank and then filled the tank, it seems that getting it mixed well may be the trick.
Then hovered for a full tank over weeds bushes and around yard.

I am running on NORVEL 25%,
1.00CC of Tiki torch fuel / Citro Max (Citronella)

I really think Norvel 35% would be better do to the nitro.
I also found that if it is not well mixed it runs uneven.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:05 PM
eegadsman

Default RE: Citronella

Ok. so it ran.. and you flew.. but did it keep the 'squito's away??? :-p
Old 07-20-2004, 08:34 PM
Joe K

I think so; problem is they eat you alive before you burn the first tank.
Later that night when I was out they did not seem to be bad, in fact I did not get attacked on the way to the car this morning.
I was out tonight but did not fly, and I did not even see one mosquito I even walk out were they are the thickest. I cant believe the residue could still be working that long even if it has not rained. Although I have always noticed that in the morning I could still smell the fuel that was on the driveway from the night before.
If this dose prove to work our wives will ask us to fly.
Honestly am not sure as of yet, but I just can’t believe I could not find any tonight maybe my neighbor sprayed his yard.
Joe
Old 07-20-2004, 09:38 PM
eegadsman

Hehe.. well, lets keep our hopes up! If so.. I may just try it myself!! :-p