Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

My new hi performance gear drive! Wink!

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

My new hi performance gear drive! Wink!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:39 AM
siberianhusky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new hi performance gear drive! Wink!

LOL made this in about 10 minutes, was looking through a junk box of rc stuff looking for boat inspiration! And it hit!
It's the axle blocks/motor mount from an associated rc 121, as is the axle, the gear carrier is supposed to bolt a rim and gear together so you can run without the diff.
I drilled the threads out of a 1/4" to 1/8 u-joint and drilled and tapped it for a set screw. The drive shaft I have for it is out of an old dumas 1/2a hardware kit.
currently has 14/48 gearing for a ratio of 3.43:1.
Vintage Associated/reedy 05 stock rc12i motor.
Now I'm goind to go back downstairs and chop up some plywood for a new recovery barge for the nitro boats!
Going to run it off an old car esc and ni-cad packs I have for my buggy.
I know it will suck but the only 1/8 prop I have is a x435.
Thinking I should be able to turn something about 40mm, need to look into slow speed submerged props,
Hope to be able to get a couple of rescues per 6 cell pack, have enough of them so I hope to be able to cover a bad days running with lots of rescues. Or wire a couple in parralell for longer run times.
Sorry bout the phone pic, camera batteries are dead.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ki19013.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	596.6 KB
ID:	1502252  
Old 09-17-2010, 01:35 PM
battlepack

Default RE: My new hi performance gear drive! Wink!

Hughey Boats Inc. offers one and two 05 motor gearboxes, I have several of them with several gear ratios.  You can run 3/16 size props.  If anyone is interested I can post his phone number.

thanks,
Steve
Old 09-17-2010, 06:50 PM
poobs

I used Hughey Boatsgear drives years ago. They work very well.
Also rigged up some gear drives drives similar to yours for small airplanes using brass tubin attached directly to the motor shaft with thread andC/A
Old 09-18-2010, 05:33 AM
siberianhusky

I'm not spending any money on this build! It's a non scale flat rectangular barge with a push rig on it to retrieve boats. I looked at other gear drives and decided this set up would do what I want it to. go 200 feet and push a boat back.
The last thing I want is much speed out of it!
It's mostly unfinished foam with a plywood radio/motor box.
I have a fully finished RC12i on display so I'm not going to miss these spare parts from the old pan car days.
This rig is probably better than some gear drives out there, this one is riding on ball bearings all around and has almost unlimited gear ratios (within reason), All I had to do was mount it on a aluminum mount and done. All the spare parts I would ever need are really cheap on fleabay.
And it was free!
Got tired of using a real boat for rescues that are a bit too far away for the fishing rod.
I'll post some pictures of the Rat Rod Retrieval Boat later today, supposed to rain today so I'll be playing boats inside [:@]
Just posted it as I got a kick out of my junk box gear drive.